Starting to feel discouraged

(Leigh Ann) #1

Hi all,
I’ve been eating keto for two weeks now. First week I lost 7lbs, but then I gained 3 back and I seem to be stuck there. I know the scale isn’t the only measurement I could be using, but how do I know if I’m doing things “right” if I’m seeing no changes? I’ve tried checking ketones with the urine strips and so far nothing. I’m using an app to track my foods and staying at or below 20g carbs (one day I went over by about 8 carbs, which coincidently or not was the day before I saw the 3lb gain :confounded:).

Frustrated,
LA

(Running from stupidity) #2

Below 20g is great, but you also need to make sure you’re eating enough to drive your metabolic rate.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #3

I’m on week three and I haven’t even weighed in yet. But I started measuring the first weekend and do it every Saturday. I am losing 1/2 to 1 inch a week everywhere it matters.

I was sick to my stomach that first week and wasn’t eating enough and I noticed I felt sluggish and bloaty. I upped my calories (still stayed under 20 g carb daily) and cut it out with the cheese binges and I am back on track. Now if I have to choose between cheese or veg to go with my meat, I choose veg.

(John) #4

Weeks 1 and 2 I lost weight, felt on-and-off crappy. Week 3 stalled, week 4 gained, week 5 lost everything gained in week 4 and a little more, week 6 felt fine and weight loss continued.

How my pants and belt fit improved consistently, whether or not the scale moved.

What you are experiencing is normal. Plan to commit to at least 6 weeks before evaluating whether it is right for you (8 weeks is better). A lot depends on your starting weight and what medical or metabolic issues you are trying to improve.

(Leigh Ann) #5

Thank you all for your help.