Starting Saturday 24th Nov...eek!

(Emma) #21

Thanks for the vote of confidence @JohnH :blush:

I’m sooo excited about getting to this bit! I get anxious about getting hungry at the moment and take a sack load of carbs to work with me, it’s silly.

(Emma) #22

@PaulL awesome advice, I can totally do that. Such a good way to put it. It is definitely the psychological component that worries me most as it’s more an emotional crutch than a real physical addiction (although I’m sure I will have some physical withdrawal to deal with). And telling myself it’s not forever will help me through the tempting times. I love cream so this is a big plus for keto - I can still have desserts of some sort and not feel deprived.

(John) #23

At first, your goal is to get your body switched over from carbs as a primary fuel. So if you get hungry, eat keto-type snacks. It is BETTER to not snack and to get your energy intake from full meals. But until you are fat-adapted, it’s a good idea to have something safe on hand.

For me, that was measured quantities of low carb nuts (raw almonds, walnuts, pecans), single serving cheese (those little BabyBel cheese things are great for that), and canned fish. Tuna, sardines, anchovies. Ok, I only ate the anchovies once - those things are packed with flavor and go better as a component of larger dishes than just eating out of the can. Hard boiled eggs are another go-to, as is pre-cooked bacon. Hard salami, deli-sliced ham, turkey, chicken, beef. Some things require a fridge, others can go in a plastic bag in your bag, purse, briefcase, or backpack.

Or even keto-safe veggies. Celery sticks, cucumber slices or sticks, radishes, green bell pepper strips. All are great dipped in a full-fat dressing or mayo for a little extra flavor, or dabbed in some pink Himalayan salt.

Also, remember to supplement with sodium (salt), potassium (found in lite salt), and magnesium (I just take a supplement pill, or you can make sure to eat broccoli and spinach often). And drink plenty of water. It’ll help a lot in the early days.

(Emma) #24

@JohnH so grateful for your great advice! I will get the snacks ready especially as I’m at work tomorrow.

Feeling very nervous now but I don’t know why as I can’t get hungry eating all this delicious fat surely. I guess it’s the carb withdrawal that is daunting. Yay, day one here I come!! :hugs:

(Emma) #25

Day one done. I’ve been hungry today and light headed at times but it’s not been difficult to stick to LCHF foods. Felt full and a bit sick after breakfast of bacon and fried eggs in butter.

I was hungrier at work than I thought I would be despite a whole chicken breast, mayonnaise, half a ball of mozzarella, 2 rashers of bacon and salad for lunch. I stupidly didn’t bring any snacks. I had a coffee with cream which helped my hunger. Had a few olives as soon as I got in from work as was so hungry. For dinner I had baked thai salmon in coconut milk with broccoli, butter and a bit of rocket and watercress.

Feel pleased that I’ve survived the day and it was fairly easy. Myfitnesspal tells me I’ve had a total of 14g carbs, so success! But still feel not quite satiated (just finished dinner about 30 mins ago and it’s 10pm now) and considering having a bit of thick double cream (spoonable) to sort that out…

(Carl Keller) #26

“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”

You are on your way Emma. You can do this. :wink:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

As long as they are keto-friendly snacks, don’t worry about eating them. But the idea is to eat enough at meals that snacking is not necessary. One you’ve kept your insulin level down for a while, your satiety signaling will kick in, and hunger will be much less of an issue.

Good job, Emma!

I’ve got no more advice for you. You’ve got this figured out. :+1:

Welcome to the keto side :slight_smile: what I wish I had known before I began (and 2ketodudes helped me realize that)- keto is a very personal journey and your body will react in a way that only your body can. Look into what others might be going through, just so you dont lose motivation and freak out if something unexpected happens. Learn from your body’s reaction-if something doesnt feel right, ask what could cause it and adjust, dont give up. And give yourself lots of pep talks- “you can do this,” “youre an adult, have some self-control,” “remember how unhappy you were before,” etc…it’s a head-game and once your head catches up, you’ll be in a wonderful place. I’m so happy with where I am now, 7 months later, that I never want to go back and I’m so excited to see where my body can take me now. You will have ups and downs, but use those ups to get you through those downs. And remember, keto is a simple diet, dont overcomplicate, it makes it easier to get those basics down in the beginnings. I wish you all the best on your journey :slight_smile:

Great advice, @Meerkatsandy! Thanks for sharing that. :+1:

I hope my words can help someone, just like all of yours helped me :slight_smile:

(Emma) #32

Thanks for your advice @Meerkatsandy :blush:

Just woken up on day 2. Going to have a cup of bouillon today to try and avoid keto flu but also prepared to go through a more difficult day as my body starts to go through carb withdrawal. Again, I’m at work today and it’s usually a busy shift so hoping that will distract me.

Thank you guys!

I still supplement electrolytes…ketoade is my morning drink :slight_smile: