Starting keto for mental health reasons. Any success?

(Jeffrey Belanger) #1

Today is day one of keto and im doing it for health reasons. I have been battling severe depression and anxiety for the last 6 years and im tired of doctors throwing medications at me and i have literally tried everything else, so i am praying that keto will help me get my life back. I have heard stories about the ketogenic diet improving brain health. Can anyone here relate to this? Has anyone had any success with this? Im also wondering what to expect during the first month of keto?

(Wendy) #2

Hi Jeff Welcome!!
I too have experienced anxiety to the point I hadn’t taken a trip for 15yrs. I have been on Keto since April. So I booked a flight to visit my sister, In Oregon, so 15yrs ago, I was a mess, xanax and imodium were my constant companion. So I was prepared. I had an early flight,cked in had my boarding pass. Got to the airport in Las Vegas. Went through security with no delays. Suprising enough, everything went off without a hitch! And to my utter surprise! No Xanax or imodium! I couldn’t believe it! I called my husband and told him! My return flight was the same experience. I can only give credit to Keto! Btw had a great time in Oregon! My sister and I are planning next yrs trip. My other experience, I had Low Bloodsugar. Had a hard time regulating it. It put me in the hospital last yr. Affecting my heart rhythm. And put 20# xtra pounds on. Since my Bloodsugar stays around 80 to 93. No side effects. Heart rhythm is steady, bp has gone down. And have lost 40#! 20 to go. So keep Positive and be Patient, everyone is different. This forum is the best 1! So much good feedback,and experiences. Lots of knowledge to help you with any challenge you might face! Good Luck! :blush:

(Jeffrey Belanger) #3

That is so amazing! Thank you!

(Susan) #4

Welcome to the forum, Jeffrey =-). Many people on here have had a lot of reduction in anxiety, depression and have been able to reduce or eliminate their medications as well.

I wish you success for this over time as well, the most important things for Keto is keeping your carbs low (20 grams or less if you can) and NO sugar, no seed oils (use butter, bacon fat, extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, etc instead). Eat enough calories, that you get from proteins and healthy fats, drink enough water, and keep up your electrolytes.

We are all wishing you success, and will certainly encourage you in your journey.

(Katie) #5

Listen to Carrie Brown’s story!

(Katie) #6

https://ketowomanpodcast.com/carrie-brown/

(Wendy) #7

I am pretty fortunate. I have worked at a Counseling office for 10yrs. I have a Great boss. Very supportive.

(Cristian Lopez) #8

My grades went up when I started keto

:brain::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Susan) #9

That is great, Cristian =).

(Prancing Pony) #10

Hey Jeffrey, I went Keto for weight loss but know for certain my anxiety is less now. I sleep better too which has a massive impact on mental wellbeing. Being calmer in normal situations makes tackling the harder ones less stressful, still have to work at it but at least the baseline feels normal :wink:

I wish you all the best in your recovery and if you would like a book recommendation that also helped me check out -
The Happiness Trap: Stop Struggling, Start Living
by Russ Harris

(Annette ) #11

Yes! I’ve been doing it since 5/22/19 and feel great. I’m on half the amount of antidepressant I was on. I’m thinking of halving that again. I also feel much more chill.
Wishing you well on your Keto journey.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #12

I started in Fall 2018 and have bipolar/depression/anxiety. I can say it’s tremendously helped with the “bad days” as in I don’t have nearly as many and I when I do they are short lived. One half a day compared to a week or longer in the past. I feel like drop in blood glucose before meals and the constant of up and down throughout the day when I was eating high carb really contributed. Also I’m probably accessing much more good brain stuff eating whole foods now. Even if I ate more carbs I’ve eliminated junk and processed foods which I think makes a huge difference. Best wishes on your mental health journey!

(Marianne) #13

God bless; I hope you notice a difference.

I was very depressed - for a long time. A lot of that had to do with my weight, but I think a lot of that had to do, too, with my physical and mental health, which has greatly improved.

(Marianne) #14

I love this - I am really happy for you!

(Marianne) #15

Yes, forgot about that benefit! Can’t take a nap for anything, but sleep like a baby at night!

(Wendy) #16

Thank you! :grin:

(Editing to apologize for how long this is!)

I started Keto mid-June of this year. I’ve lost 25 of the goal 60 pounds. More impressive and surprising is what it has done for me mentally and psychologically.

I’ve had Attention Deficit Disorder - Inattentive my entire life, been binge eating 20+ years, and have had depression on and off since I was 11-12 years old. I can’t say for sure that those conditions are gone for good. But with my ADD, I have observed much greater ability to focus, organize and stronger mental clarity. As far as my depression it’s hard to tell as it’s not been constant, more cyclical and situational. I feel stronger emotionally, however. Binge eating thoughts are still there but closer to 2x/month vs. what it was, 2x/day.

I no longer take meds for my ADD and haven’t experienced any depression since I started Keto.

I think by gaining control over my diet and continuing to be in control, even having a couple carb setbacks and coming back from them, I’ve taught myself - or proven to myself - that I can have that power. And it’s affected me in many parts of my life. I feel better able to stop whatever spiral or slide (food, emotional, thought, self-doubt) I’m headed down. It’s empowered me.

And I’m sure getting rid of all the crappy processed foods and chemicals from my diet has played a big part in all of this, too.

My advice for your first month and beyond - stick around these forums, ask questions, read, learn, post, etc. They have been an incredible resource and the people here are supportive, extremely knowledgeable, friendly (with a couple curmudgeons sprinkled in for fun) and patient. Good luck to you and I truly hope this provides you some relief.

(Marianne) #18

So true; well said.

(Katie) #19

So I’ve never been officially diagnosed with anything in my adult life, (diagnosed with bipolar as a teenager) but I know I’ve always been very self critical, that angry little voice has always been real loud in my head, ya know? I’ve been keto about 2 months now, and it’s kinda like my missing inflammation… meaning you dont really realize it’s missing until you accidentally go over on carbs and it rears its nasty head to remind you it used to be there. I made the mistake of eating a bit too many carbs on one of my refeed days after a 4 day fast, and I gotta say, I turned into the biggest negative Nancy inside my head the next day. It really made me realize how miserable I used to be when I ate nothing but junk food. I’m not sure if it’s the pride you feel in yourself by sticking to a better way of life, or if the carbs keep you depressed, but I do know that eating keto has kept a lot of that at bay for me.