Starting keto and leg twitches, stiffness and aches?

conversationstarters

(Lizeth Barrientos) #1

Hi everyone, im on a journey to figure out what has happened to me and wonder if anyone has had a similar experience. I started the keto diet july 10th. Everything was going great, i was loosing weight and my energy levels were high.
But something happened to me in the beginning of august. Both my legs started to twitch/spasam!! I couldnt hold myself up anymore because my legs felt so fatigued they would start to buckle. I had aches and pains mainly on my calves, shins and feet. But calves seemed to be the main affected. My calves became Stiff!! And it was impossible to walk or stand for more than 5 minutes. I went to the hospital 10x and no doctor could figure out what was happening to me. So much blood work was done. Ultrasound in one leg, even an MRI on my spine because they thought it was a pinched nerve causing these rare symptoms that only attacked my calves and legs (knee down).
A saw a neurologist who thought it could be something called Benign Fasciculation Syndrom caused by stress and anxiety. But i dont want to beleive thats it. I have a feeling it was the way i was doing keto which was the wrong way. I had a macro ratio of 20g of carbs. 110g of protein and 135g of fat.
I did not consume any vegeatbles (big mistake)
Nor did i consume any of the proper electrolytes!
I only had water with pink Himalayan salt and mios.
All of the fats i consumed were ground beef, cheese,eggs,heavy cream,pork skins and macadamian nuts.
Im still recovering from my legs
I can fully walk now but the aches still remain, making it feel like ive been standing for 20hours on my feet when ive only been standing for 5 minutes…
Also feels like someone planted a hard rock in my legs to replace my bones or muscles when i walkm i know it sounds weird but thats honestly the most discriptive way i can describe this uncomfortable feeling.

If anyone has any advice or related experience please dont hesitate to reach out.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #2

Did the doctors mention magnesium deficiency? I’d research that if I were you. I haven’t heard of it causing as severe a problem as you had, but if you were already deficient (as most people are according to current research) and then cut out veggies without adding organ meats that might be the issue.

(Donna ) #3

I’m sorry you went through all that expense and stress with doctors (and horrified that they can’t figure out what’s wrong with someone on keto who is experiencing leg cramps.) You need electrolytes.

(Lizeth Barrientos) #4

As they showed me my blood work. They told me my potassium levels were borderline low. I was at 3.5 when the value range shoudl be between 3.5 and 5 i beleive. Im trying to consume as much as a i can…it seems like everyday im getting a little better but i still dont know when that day may be. And im scared to go back to keto but thats the only way of eating that actually gave me results and kept me feeling completley amazing as far as energy and not craving sugar…im so discouraged