Starting Carnivore. Considerations?

Started carnivore after one year keto last week. Just experimenting a bit and mixing it up. I am doing meat, eggs, butter only. Overall, I have lost another pound or two and feel a bit leaner, but have not noticed much else. I do have an occasional feeling as if I need to use the bathroom but then do not produce, not constipated, just an odd feeling like I would need to go but don’t. Do not know if that is something anyone else has experienced. I am mainly using butter to keep my fat up as I am still trying to keep my fat/protein caloric percentage around 75/25. I am finding this difficult without really laying the butter on. I also am finding that my protein is higher than typical but did not know if a higher protein amount is normal with carnivore vs keto. My lean body mass is ~170# and my protein intake with carnivore has been from around 130g at the lowest to usually around 160g or so. I do work out and lift weights regularly so I expect a higher protein intake, but am worried to go too high and thereby overstimulate insulin. I do not typically eat during the day but as an example, over the course of this evening I had: 12 oz ny strip cooked in bacon grease and dipped in 2 tbsp of butter, 6 oz ground sausage with 4 scrambled eggs, and 4 eggs fried in bacon grease with another 2 tbsp of butter. Just checking to see if I am on the right track. TIA for any insight!

(bulkbiker) #2

Really? I find that is the natural ratio for fattier cuts of meat like steaks, pork chops, pork belly and lamb.
Only when I have chicken and fish is it fat deficient.
I rarely add butter to any of my meaty meals.
Where are you getting your meat data from?

(Elizabeth ) #3

www.zerocarbhealth.com about 12 years of experienced carnivores moderators and admins who have helped thousands of people with the carnivore way of eating

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

If you are eating equal amounts of fat and protein by weight, then you are already getting 69% fat and 31% protein. A ratio of 75% to 25% would be 1.3 grams of fat to 1.0 gram of protein.

(Robert C) #5

If you are considering Carnivore long term - you may want to get your iron levels tested (to ensure you eliminate iron at a regular rate) and confirm (with 23andMe or similar service) that you do not have Hemochromatosis (which slows iron elimination by like 80%). “Iron overload” (which is rare) is bad and you want to ensure you are not contributing to it through a dietary change (assuming there is a lot of red meat in your future).

myfitnesspal

yeah thats often about where i am ending up. bt i am trying to swing the percentages another 5 points or more if i can

i have not been officially tested but i have bloodwork done at regular physicals and used to have it tested all the time when i donated plasma, was always normal, but somehting to keep in mind thanks

(Elizabeth ) #9

Dr Tro has tested roughly 50 carnivores none of them are low on iron or vitamin C. I personally at six months carnivore was very low and folate, but I do have an MTHFR variant that presents that way so adding a pound of chicken liver every month or two brought my numbers into normal range at one year carnivore. I get full lipids, thyroid, metabolic, particle count , cbc, and anemia panels every 6 months and have been doing so for the last 4 years through keto and now almost 2 years carnivore.

(bulkbiker) #10

Double check it with somewhere else…
MFP has lots of user supplied info which can be very incorrect.