Starting a Carnivore experiment on reduced "added" fats

(Bob M) #21

Not sure about that:

Brad was able to lose quite a bit of weight while “fasting” on wine.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #22

Bob, I’m also intrigued by the FIAB stuff. I’m actually composing a fat composition list right now to determine which fats have the highest SFA and lowest PUFAs, including each specific fatty acid type. I’ll post that when I’ve completed it.

The ~200 caloric deficit/surplus has worked for me for nearly 3 years I’ve been on maintenance. My overall weight has not varied by more than +/- 2 pounds and I’m at 14% BF. That BF % may be significant. But here’s an alternative: increase BAT (brown fat). Bikman has several videos discussing BAT and how it acts to burn more fat. Following is a quick howto convert ordinary white fat to BAT. Executive Summary: expose yourself to sub-66°F temps for 2+ hours per day. That could be as simple as turning down the home thermostat to 65.

(Bob M) #23

By the way, I’m not advocating anyone do this. I’m different from Brad in that alcohol makes me hungry. If I have a drink, I almost always have to eat something, even if it’s late at night.

However, Brad’s (interesting) n=1s are wild.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #24

The BAT thing also intrigues me. All of my life I’ve been a ‘cold person’ - ie someone who enjoys cool/cold temps rather than warm/hot. I lived at Lake Laberge, Yukon, for a decade and winter was my fave season! I often comment that I’m ‘hot blooded’ because I really get uncomfortable when the temp goes much above 70°F. Right now sitting at my computer in shorts and no shirt, I like the cool air coming in the window and find it very pleasant. I’m about to crack open an ice cold soda and that will make me feel nice and chilled! At work there are two entrances to Walmart one directly to the outside and the other into a closed mall corridor. Temp-wise I much prefer the entrance that opens directly outside because it’s always cooler there. In winter it gets really cold. When my coworkers are bundling up I’m in my short sleeves. They ask all the time aren’t I cold and I say honestly no, I’m not.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

I like drinking the bacon grease, myself . . . :bacon::bacon:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

Who drinks only four beers? Four cases, more like . . . (hic!) :grin:

(Bob M) #27

BAT is interesting. I THINK I’ve increased my BAT over time, or certainly I’m trying to get into colder water, go outside with fewer clothes, etc., but who knows?

BAT may also be one reason you never really gained weight.

Would be a great test: we’d both get fat biopsies and measure BAT content. I bet mine would be way lower than yours. (I wouldn’t doubt genetics plays a role here, too.)

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #28

@Rclause There are a number of so-called ‘Hard Seltzers’. White Claw for example has 1 gr of carbs per 473ml (1 pint - 16 oz) of beverage. 5% just like most beer. Of course, it doesn’t taste quite like beer, but not bad. Speaking for a friend. :innocent:

HAHA oh yea I had my days of drinking darn near a case but that was many many moons ago :wink: For me older I got the more bloat I get from beer. literally 1-2 beers I bloat my tummy SO much it is truly uncomfortable and wild so hitting about 4 beers, ohhh I pay for it tummy wise!! Maybe cause it is wheat hops and all that and I truly can’t take that stuff, so maybe as I did eliminate it from my life, when I do have some I get big reactions?

hey in covid times I know cases of beer are empty in my stores LOL

ohhh I tried a white claw black cherry. I could not get past the first sip. I thought it had a taste I could never ever want in my life…you think it is not that bad? Lucky you in a way cause I SO wanted to like those hard seltzers but for me I didn’t take to any of them tho. If I remember it was a 4 pack and I threw them all out. Couldn’t handle them and knew it wouldn’t float my boat.

(Elizabeth ) #31

Give me a nice single malt scotch on the rocks or neat :woman_shrugging: halfway through one drink I’m boozy so I stick with one every couple weeks. Just to be socially you know

(traci simpson) #32

Save the grease to make mayonnaise.

yea most of us zc people get effected very fast, I know I do LOL

Oh you people, drinking so much…
I easily pour 8ml whisky but yeah, it’s little even in my world, if I am generous, it can be even 20ml (I actually feel that. very subtly and the effect is short but I feel it)! I don’t really go over that.
(In my past I could drink 3 shots, well that was very effective but I didn’t fall asleep yet. That’s what I have as drunkenness, sleep).

Beer is different, of course… 1-2dl per summer month :smiley: Perfect. A 0.33 dl bottle/can is very nice for us two but 5dl works too, my SO easily drinks 3-4 dl and never really wants more.

Wine… 10-100ml? I never do the 10ml anymore, that was for my old sugary fav that was impossible to drink in big amounts even after a few years on low-carb, in the beginning of keto. And you can’t drink a wine with a 20% sugar content galore on keto anyway… :slight_smile: But my rebellious self wanted wine and it was the only kind I was sure I can leave in the cupboard for years after I open it and it won’t spoil… 11% sugar worked too but that’s not for me anymore either. So I only drink wine if me and my SO think we actually have any chance to finish it in a week. So almost never. Christmas is better as there are 4 persons there. I still want my dry red sometimes… And I hate throwing out even cheap (but still tasty to me) wine.

There is no such thing as too little amount of booze if you ask me. But I definitely refuse to give up my tiny amounts. My body can handle that little toxin just fine.

(Scott) #35

After a one week vacation I am up 5 pounds. I ate well (carnivore) but had lots of craft beers so it is not unexpected. Down a 1/2 pound this morning so we will see how this goes.

Scott…
that truly is not bad for a vacation Scott and if you had your craft beers, it really is not alot. With beers involved I could come back double what you did, so eh, ya did fine and I hope you had a great time on vacay! Ahh, that change of scenery and little adventures are good for our souls!! Your 5 will drop fast for you!

(Scott) #37

It was a fun week at the beach. Down another 1/2 pound this morning.

ohh, the beach. A beach vacay is my best trip. I am a beach lover to the max, now you got me jealous :slight_smile: beach and craft beer, what’s not to love LOL

(Scott) #39

Even better the beach was deserted. I love to walk and run on the beach.

Update: lost two pounds today so that’s a victory. It is so nice that I can lose weight doing nothing but eating a normal unrestricted carnivore WOE.

oh yes a deserted beach is the bomb :slight_smile: we camp at coastal beach state parks, I have to say most times the beaches are deserted even in peak season times. One reason I love camping too,

I love that statement. Go back to eating your normal unrestricted zc lifestyle and the good benefits come right back :slight_smile: Glad you are doing so well Scott!