Started with Calorie Deficiet

(Adriana) #1

Hello everyone, I’m sort of new on this forum, I’ve been reading for the last week or so and have found everything very helpful. I am on day 36th of Keto and I just read that I should’ve been eating to maintenance calorie wise. I didn’t, I’ve been eating an avg of 1,800 a week, some days more some days less. what should I do since i’m almost five weeks in? Did I really messed up my already broken metabolism? should I start eating more?

(Ellie) #2

Welcome Adriana,

Are you hungry on 1800 cals per day? (I assumed you meant per day, not per week!)
Maybe you could tell us about yourself - weight, height any health issues - so that people can tailor the advice a bit.
In general terms the only thing to worry about with calories is making sure you eat enough.

If you are hungry eat - Mostly fat.
If you are not hungry, don’t!

(Adriana) #3

thanks for the reply. Yes an average per week so some days i eat 1200 some other days about 2000 per day. Some days I feel satisfied but I could probably eat a bit more.
I started at 239 on Aug 25th; the highest I’ve ever been. I’m 5’4" and health issues other then having a fatty liver, everything seemed to be ok. Except the chronic tiredness, it didn’t matter how much sleep I would get I would always feel so tired. Low energy and my inability to lose weight no matter how much I would restrict calories. I would lose some, gain some for no apparent reason so over the years I just gave up. I’m loving Keto so far, I’ve done low fat all my life pretty much that i do find it a bit hard to eat so much fat and not feel a bit of doubt. But I think I’m getting better at changing my mindset.
yesterday though I did feel so tired even though I ate enough, went to bed very early and slept right through this morning. got a good 10hr sleep :smile:

Have you been losing weight?

(Adriana) #5

yes four weeks after 11.5 down.

so that’s 11.5 pounds after 4 weeks?

(Adriana) #7

yes. after four weeks

(Ellie) #8

In that case you seem to be doing everything right! KCKO!
But listen to your body. If you feel hungry, eat fat.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

I agree; you’re doing fine. Eighteen hundred calories is a respectable amount, so your body is going to be willing to give up it’s excess fat. Restricting carbohydrate does most of the work; we need protein to live, but not too much; so fat is where it’s at. Keep up the good work, and keep ketoing on! :bacon:

(Adriana) #10

cool…i’ll just keep on going then… :slight_smile:

11.5lb in 5 weeks = just over 2lb per week.

Spot on I’d say. It looks like you didn’t get the big water loss initially. I’m not really sure if that’s good, bad or indifferent. But it appears keto is working for you.

Look at it this way - if someone told you that, in 6 months time you’d weigh 187lbs…would you take that?

Well done :star_struck:

(Adriana) #12

i would take that :slight_smile:

I gained half a pound last week, will see how this week goes for me.
I’ve increase my calorie intake to 1800 daily this week.

The key is paying attention to you body & eating just enough to be satisfied / not hungry till your next meal. If your not hungry, don’t eat more to reach an arbitrary calorie number. Took me a bit to figure out how to do that, but it’s starting to become automatic after a few months of practice.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

I’m at the point now, after about a year and a half, where the thought of food pretty much makes me queasy throughout most of the day. It’s not that I don’t have room, but rather I just don’t want it. I may have to fast for a day or two just to get back to feeling hunger. Now, if only I could stop giving in to my cravings quite so often . . . (sigh)