Started Keto today!

(c778aecf38a3c0f405e1) #5

I started 2018 with a nice fast! Have yet to eat and am feeling much better already. This is not my first keto woe so I feel like I adapt much quicker than I used to. Can’t go wrong with bacon and eggs! Best of luck on your keto journey!!!

(Mike list) #6

Thanks everyone! What snacks would you suggest to help me get through the adaption phase? For dinner i made ground beef with onions and broc fried in bacon fat!!

I know everyone is different but i don’t recommend snacking. I started out low carb like you and then when i found out my A1C had gone up, i searched the internet and discovered keto diet. Through all that i have read up on and listened to on podcast snacking is not recommended. Good luck

(Jessica) #8

I snacked at first: string cheese in the morning and celery with pb in the afternoon. It helped me muscle through the beginning steps and not feel deprived. Naturally, in a week or two I was able to go hours without eating (and drop the pb).

I am all for whatever each person needs to make this a success for them.

(Mike list) #9

I have been pretty good so far just started feeling hungry around 10pm. String cheese and celery and pb may be the way to go

(Brandon) #10

I started Keto today as well

Breakfast: sausage and bacon
Lunch: salami, pepperoni, cheese, pepperocini wraps
Supper: chicken baked with a mayo/Parmesan cheese sauce, cottage cheese, sauteed zucchini

(Mike list) #11

We are Keto brothers!!!

(Brandon) #12

True :slight_smile:

I could be wrong but from what I understand, you don’t need to worry too much about calorie intake or snacking for the first week or two. I know I would have never made it to two months if I hadn’t snacked for the first couple of weeks. A piece of string cheese or a handful of nuts (pecans, macadamias) kills the hunger and keeps you fueled and motivated, or at least it did for me.

Good luck!
Sue

(Dan Dan) #14

To snack or not to snack :thinking:

It depends on how quickly you want to become fat adapted :bacon:

It depends on how quickly you want to be able use stored body fat and change your body composition :muscle:

Use your hunger don’t let your hunger use you. If you are hungry between meals you are not eating enough fat.

A Snack is a ‘SAD’ left over that plagues the Keto Community and prolongs the time it takes to become fat adapted.

When we use the term ‘Calories Don’t Count’ we mean counting calories doesn’t prevent hunger or make you ‘fat adapted’.

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(Brandon) #15

I am trying IF along with keto. Ate supper at 6:00 last night and first thing I ate today was at noon. I had a BPC this morning and wasn’t really hungry until about 9:30am. I didn’t think string cheese or anything small would necessarily curb my hunger so I skipped and thankful I did.

I tried 8/16 IF a couple of weeks ago in preparation for the new year and the third day of it I felt really achy so I stopped but I’m going to power through it this time.

(Mike list) #16

I’m finding it hard to increase my fats my protein is around 115 grams and my fats today are 90 grams I did however hit 18 grams of carbs. Any help is appreciated

(Michael ) #17

Add olive oil or butter or coconut oil to things. I like a spinach salad with 5 or 6 tbsp olive oil
lot of spinach, some sauerkraut, bacon, brocolli, onions, cheese. Oil, bacon and cheese will give you a ton of fat. If I still come up short, i just start taking spoonfuls of mct oil sometimes. Or, i just don’t worry about it if I’m not getting hungry or weird cravings

(Dan Dan) #18

Butter Butter Butter Butter Butter (5 table spoons) :heart_eyes:

(Siobhan) #19

I snacked when I first started too. I went with if I was genuinly hungry
 I’d eat. I follow the same rule today, I’m just hungry a lot less :wink:

For snacks try bacon, deviled eggs, macedamias, jerky (make sure a low sugar variety), cheese, low carb veggies with a high healthy fat dip (like a homemade artichoke dip, or guacamole), I like bacon wrapped around smidges of cream cheese, leftovers, heavy cream in your coffee if you drink it, etc
Plenty of options!
Check out ruled.me or dietdoctor.com I think they both have snack sections

I see no problem with snacking so long as youre actually hungry and not just bored.

(Steve Leverton) #20

I had the same issue, partly because it seems un-natural to up the fats so much
but now
 I looooooove fat haha. Avocado is always a good shout, albeit a bit expensive here in the UK.

Ummm, echoing the others, oil, butter. Macadamia nuts are good for snacking, read somewhere they’re the best nut alongside pecans for keto. Cheese also, but this is equally high in protein. Pork Scratchings (or Rinds as they seem to be referred to everywhere apart from here) are my go-to snack.

If struggling with the ratios then might be worth just simply reducing the protein. By reducing the protein you’re automatically increasing the percentage of fat!

Good luck with it all though NjMike!

(Mike list) #21

I’m going to make Fat Bombs when I get home from work or maybe when I wake up.

(Frank) #22

I started Sunday with a weight in and plenty of eggs and bacon.

I am down from 14st 2.8 to 13st 13.1lbs since Sunday, my Ketonix has measured an increase in the past 2 days of my breath ketones.

For me I am trying to avoid snacking, for me it seems a bad habit we in the west have develop over the last 30+ years.

I only snack if I am hungry, before I snacked all the time on sugary treats (three days ago!).

Good luck everyone who is starting out as well!

(Rob) #23

Welcome to Keto and the forum!

I started Keto in September 2017 and did find that I “needed” to snack as I was coming off carbs and getting used to everything. The hardest bit was what to have at the office, which for me was solved with packets of pork scratchings, Macadamias, Pecans and Almonds and I’ve now added Coconut oil to my desk drawer for the occasional BPC during the day. At home, a slice of cheese or anything else with a good chunk of fat would do the trick, Butter, Bacon, Pepperoni, Salami, Chorizo. I also found that a pinch of rock salt under my tongue would help to curb the cravings for a while too.

I also don’t go to the cinema without a bag of Pork Stratchings so that while the kids are scoffing down their popcorn I’m not tempted to dip my hand into their bucket as I have something for myself.

Like many others have said though, the need for snacking wears off after a while and you’ll find that as you become fat adapted you just won’t crave the snacks as much.

(Mike list) #24

I just found a place that has pork crisps but they say on the pack 2 grams of sugar. Am i getting the right ones also i think the keto flu hit me today as i feel run down and sluggish with a hint of a headache.