Started Keto Today! Totes newbie here

(JB) #1

Hi all, a friend recommended a support forum starting Keto and I thought it would be a good idea so here I am!

Just started Keto literally today, and starting with a macro dist of 20 net Carbs, 5 % 25% prot and 70% fat.

6’3" 200 lbs, I work out 5 days a week with 2 active rest days. Any advice for a newb would be a serious leg up. I love to learn!

Thanks! Also, I am reading all the stickies as well and ongoing posts, what a friendly group!!

(Susan) #2

Welcome to the forum, JB =).

Keto is a very basic, healthy way to eat. If you stick to 20 grams or less of carbs, No Sugar, adequate protein and healthy fats, lots of water and Electrolytes, making sure you are getting enough magnesium potassium and salt, then you will be doing great =).

cronometer.com is a free app you can download to help you monitor all of this =).

This is an easy to make Electrolyte recipe from the forum:

This will help you get your electrolytes and help with the carb and sugar withdrawal issues that some people get when starting Keto. If you always keep your Electrolytes up and carbs low, you will do great.

For recipes, our recipe section has a lot of fantastic ideas =). If you have any questions, just ask, and we all want each other to succeed, so you will get a lot of very helpful responses =). Best wishes on your Keto Journey!

(JB) #3

Why thank you so very much, Susan. I have read about the “flu” so I expect that will come soon. I’ll try the Ketoaid recipe you suggested for sure!! Thanks again!!

Jb

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #4

Welcome!

What is your goal with keto?

Some are here for weight loss, some for better metabolic health, others for disease prevention/control… (The list goes on).

(Scott) #5

For the next month or two your workouts are going to suck! This cought me by surprise when I started. I am a runner and felt like I had no energy and had to resort to walk breaks. I was even questioning Keto at that point. Somewhere around the three month mark it all changed and now have more energy than I know what to do with. You will probably not take as long as me to fully adapt so stay strong and power through it. You will be glad you did.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

Just here to say welcome and that I look forward to reading about your successes. (And yes, it’s a friendly part of the internet, indeed.)

(Jane Reed) #7

Congrats on making the switch to real food. I counsel patience. It took me a long time to get noticeable results and a long time to light upon the food choices which most suited me. But…I figured that I was doing myself good, whatever I was or wasn’t experiencing, in that I had dropped my sugar and grain intake to miniscule levels. At my age, sixty-eight, nothing came fast or easy. That is also true of some much younger people, and I hope you are not among them. Whatever is the case for you, be patient, read the science, and good luck.

(Liz) #8

Welcome! You are already on the right track, took me ages to look for support here. Such a great wealth of knowledge from real people eating real good keto food is such a good thing to have.
Best wishes on your own journey :handshake:

(JB) #9

Hello there KCM! Mostly fat loss. I was hoping fat adaptation would happen quickly like all the youtubers promote, but that seems to be the minority reaction. Regardless, i’m going to power through! Thanks for the response. Wrapping my head around all the fat is very strange to me.

(JB) #10

Hey Scott, thanks for the response. That’s great to know ahead of time, at least for my expectations. I will indeed power through it! 3 month though wow. Were you a heavy carb eater?

JB

(JB) #11

Thanks much for the response! Everyone so far has been great!

(JB) #12

Hello PetaMarie!

Patience has never been my strongest feature, but I am pretty committed to this and I don’t give up easily.
When you say it took long for results, what does that mean to you?

JB

(JB) #13

Hi, Liz and thank you! I hope for results soon, but mostly focusing on getting my food correct. Optimal macro % is what I am struggling with but seems to be and ongoing adjustable process. I will power through!

JB

(Marianne) #14

Welcome!

Are you interested in keto for health reasons? IMO, 6’3" 200 lbs. isn’t overweight. My husband has always been in great shape (works out every day, great muscle tone), not overweight, however, since he started eating keto with me, he’s lost 20 lbs. I would never have thought he had 20 lbs. to lose. He lost most of it in his belly (and excess inflammation, I believe), something which he found impossible to do before, even with exercise. Now he is hoping to gain lean muscle; he looks great.

Good luck on your journey; keep us posted. So much information here from people who have researched keto extensively and who are living it.

(Marianne) #15

(Who are these two angels in your avatar!?)

Hi honeys!

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

(Joey) #16

@Deekon Greetings! You’ve gotten plenty of great advice above from those who know what they’re talking about.

Just a newbie here (1+ month) and already it’s been remarkable beyond expectations. Keep us posted and don’t hesitate to seek all the great support that folks here are eager to share.

Best wishes!

(JB) #17

Hell Marianne! It’s definitely for the belly fat, just like your husband. Would you mind posting his macro’s/experience on how he did that? I think that would help me a ton with regards to a loose guideline. Would that be ok? Thanks for responding regardless!!

JB

(JB) #18

Hey thanks, Joey. Everyone here has been super kind, so I think I came to the right place!

1+ month, dang. How long did it take for you to start noticing changes if you don’t mind me asking?

JB

(Liz) #19

The golden retriever is Rosé and the chocolate lab is Stanley! Two very spoilt but wonderful family members. Thanks for your interest and will say hi from you to them! :+1::smiley:

(Marianne) #20

Whoo hoo!!!

:star_struck:

Love it!