Started Keto on Vacation 😆

(Marilyn Cox) #1

Hi I’m Marilyn and I started the Keto Diet 2 days before vacation…I can only say I did this because I’ve been considering Keto for a month or so and July 24th I woke up and knew that was the day to start. 2 days before a 2 week vacation. Seriously?? Yes. I’m the girl that goes on foodie vacations btw.

I got the Keto flu 2 days into the diet and just before we left for vacay. Yay! Luckily it only lasted 2 days. Thank god. I also found the 90 second mug bread my first day which made the transition to very low carb very easy for me. I had it for breakfast making an egg avocado bacon sandwich! Ahhhhh.

We booked a kitchenette for our room but it was a very small kitchenette and a mini mini fridge with no oven only 2 burners and a tiny microwave. Not quite what we had expected! But it was better than no kitchenette. We did a quick shop the day after we got in and loaded up on Keto friendly basics. The Best Western Plus had a free daily breakfast so I took advantage of the staple eggs and meat offerings and made my bulletproof coffee with butter pats, whipped cream and cinnamon from the waffle station. It was delicious.

Then I got the gym for my daily walk and a bit of muscle work with light weights. Then yoga in our room and ending with a plunge in the pool and hot tub. Heaven! (My fiance was the one working! I was a happy tagalong) Then I spent the day driving around seeing sights and browsing the shops, snacking on my handy almond packs, baby bell cheese and Zevia sparkling drink.

Then for dinner we’d get chicken or steak and have that for dinner along with avocado and salad. We are out about 3 or 4 nights and I happily ditched the carb offerings and got avocado and or Ceasar salad for my sides.

I did indulge in rum or tequila with Coke Zero more than I should have but other than that I was pretty on track. I did use ketostix and noticed after drinking it went down to .5 instead of my usual 1.5 to 4. Makes sense.

I used the Carb Manager app to track and make sure the foods I was interested in were low enough in carbs to have. It really helped and still does.

I didn’t have a scale or tape measure so used how my clothes fit for how well I was doing. I lost a good 2 inches on my belt. That was a great motivator. I also noticed my belly was smaller when I was sitting in the car and my knees were skinnier. :blush:

So all in all I really didn’t feel deprived of much which is great as I am a real foodie on vacation. I think the reduced hunger and the baggy clothing really helped.

So I’ve been home now for 4 days (can I just say I love my full size kitchen??) and today is my 3 week mark! I did end up weighing and here are my results.

Down 8 lbs
Down 1.9% body fat
Up .9% muscle mass
Down 6.5"

I’m happy with my results (I always want more, which annoys me) and pretty stoked with how I handled vacation but I do see how I could become obsessed with my macros and my scale so I am working on both of those potential issues. I’m only going to weight weekly if not just monthly and also focusing on low carb more than perfect fat and protein macros. I liked the advice to newbies to keep it simple.

Any tips you think might help me would be great!

I love this forum and really am excited for all of us to succeed and be healthy! :blush::blush::blush:

Ps fiancé is going to start Keto as well!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Just keep your carbs as low as possible; that’s the most important thing. There are many hacks and tweaks, but that’s the essential.

Don’t chase ketone numbers—if you are producing ketones at all, that’s enough. Your ketone level will fluctuate, and the average will probably go down as your body gets more efficient at using ketones.

Consider giving your scale away to someone you don’t like. :smile: It can be an unreliable guide to progress, especially for women. Especially since any weight loss that happens is not going to be constant. There will be stalls, and it might even go up, sometimes. Use your clothing size as an indicator of progress.

Lastly, the real goal is fat-adaptation, the point where your muscles are burning fatty acids and ketone bodies in preference to glucose. For most people, this happens around 6-8 weeks in, sometimes sooner, sometimes later. Fat-adaptation is the key to metabolic health and flexibility.

(Marilyn Cox) #3

@PaulL thanks for all the tips, love the scale tip, I have a few candidates to donate it to :laughing: thanks for helping a newbie!:sparkling_heart:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

You’re welcome, and please keep us updated with how things are going, whether good or bad. :bacon:

(Keto Kid 4 Life) #5

Congrats on your success, even while on vaycay! :bacon::muscle: