Started exercising - now I am gaining weight?

(Carrie Lightfoot) #1

I have been on Keto for 2 weeks… I lost 7.5 lbs but have started exercising and now have put back on 1.5 lbs. I have been below our at all of my macros. Could this just be muscle? any advice on how to keep losing weight with exercise? TIA

(Kellie) #2

In initial weightloss some of that is water weight so you will gain some weight back due to that. Also if you are working out you will be gaining muscle and muscle weighs more than fat . I think when I first started keto I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks and then the scale went up 4 pounds so really I only lost 6 pounds in two weeks.

(Carrie Lightfoot) #3

Thank you! I am getting obsessed with doing everything “right” and don’t want to mess up :slight_smile: I know the exercise is so good for me. Do I need to change anything with my macros? I always struggle to get all of the fat in.

(Kellie) #4

In the beginning I only focused on eating enough fat and having 20 carbs or less. I didn’t focus on calories or anything else. Once I got used to that I added more " complicated " things in such as tracking calories and fasting blah blah but in the beginning just ease into it. I personally only walk maybe 30 minutes a day - no intense working out or weight lifting and that’s because in my personal experience when I tried to lose weight and build muscle it only left me discouraged and hungry. 2 years ago it took me 8 months to lose 15 pounds and I went to the gym and had a personal trainer 5 days a week- also I was on a traditional diet not keto. This time I did things different . I started keto reading that you don’t need to excersise to lose weight on this diet. I started in April on keto and have lost 30 pounds- so basically in 4 months with little effort on working out. My plan is once I get to the weight I would like to be at then I will donweightlifting to add muscle I personally just want fat loss first . I’m not going to tell you not to excersise because I know it’s healthy for your body to move , I just have read that being on keto and doing too much excersise in the beginning is a lot of stress on your body since it’s trying to change itself .

The last time I was eating low carb and working out with a trainer I would ALWAYS gain weight the day after I worked out. Overall it was a downward trend. It’s best not to stress over the little fluctuations in day to day weight.

(Carrie Lightfoot) #6

Thank you, that really makes sense. I am definitely trying to do it all at once and am impatient :slight_smile: It makes sense to focus on reaching the fat and protein. I don’t have any trouble on the protein and go over if anything, it’s the fat that’s tough to reach. You have been very helpful, thank you!!

(Kellie) #7

I never ever have reached my fat goal. It’s like 110 I think and I only ever get to like 80 or 90. I just make sure I have low carb foods and high fat foods and it works out fine. Some days you will find it hard to eat because you simply are not hungry- do not worry this is normal - don’t force yourself to eat just to make your macros.

(Ashley Beane) #8

I find I have the most success when I don’t worry too much about “hitting” fats. The rule of thumb of “Fat to satiety” is my trusted friend when it comes to moderating my fat intake.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS!!!