Started a Ketogenic Diet 14-10-2018

(Matthew) #21

I’ll go shopping for something like what you described tomorrow. I’ve been after a decent coffee setup for a long time.
How many coffee’s do you down a day and when do you have it?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #22

I drink one cup a day of black coffee.

(Robert C) #23

I am just making a batch - depending on how many eggs (about a half tablespoon each or so) you just scoop out of that container until it is done (a week or two).

But toss the sediment at the bottom!

(Robert C) #24

I grind about 1 ounce (28 grams) of dark roast beans to make two 12 ounce (350 milliliter) mugs of coffee which I usually have between 5:30 and 7:30 AM.

(Matthew) #25

I probably should have stated in my intro post that I have zero intention of tracking macros or following a set program or application per se. I will eat low carbs, no sugar, high fats and now kindly due to the advice received here a moderate amount of protein… I’ll let the chips fall where they may. I don’t want it to become anymore a chore that just keeping to those principal intakes. Having said that, I am flexible to make changes based on what clued-in Keto people say here. I will add those quantities of oil you mentioned to my salad. I will continue eating avocado everyday because it’s dirt cheap here and I love it. Same goes with assorted nuts although they are on the steepish end economically. I’ll incorporate bacon every other day or third day as it’s also quite packs a punch in the wallet. I am a big fan of Spinach and broccoli and I have a heap in my fridge here, so I’ll go to town on those. The fats are my main concern because it’s just something I’ve always steered away from with preparing food. So that’s going to feel weird getting accustomed to.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #26

No sugar alone is a win-win situation. Congratulations on your path to better health. We are available to answer questions whenever needed. Lots of people here don’t track anything. Some check blood glucose levels and some don’t. Some check ketone levels and some don’t. I track blood glucose because every day seems to be different for me. Some add in carbs and use the blood monitor to see how their blood sugar reacts. Low carb, no sugar, again, is great. Great to have you on the forums!

(Robert C) #27

What I see as your biggest threat is you drinking so much alcohol and stopping when starting the diet. You sound like you want to change a lot of things (for the better) but you really need to be careful with this one. That little man that starts talking in your head when one of your new changes fails will seem very comforting. He’ll promise “just one night” then back to keto, IF etc. tomorrow - “just take a break” (but it will be multi-months really).

Keep in mind that when 50% of your plans fail or don’t go as well as expected - that the other 50% are probably doing great.
Keep in mind that he’ll start talking when you are tired or hungry or bored.

Make plans for what you know will come knocking sooner or later (life always has some ups and downs) and be prepared so you can avoid an “oh, screw it” attitude that undoes lots of effort.

(Laurie) #28

Hi Matthew.

I don’t know whether you already know this, but fat contains 9 calories per gram, and protein contains only 4 calories per gram. In other words, your diet doesn’t need to be 60% fat. You want 60% of your calories to come from fat. See the difference? You’re probably already getting a higher percentage of “calories from fat” than you realize.

So let’s use a hypothetical slice of cooked bacon as an example. It has maybe 4 grams of fat and 4 grams of protein. You’re getting 4 grams fat × 9 calories = 36 calories from the fat, and 4 grams protein × 4 calories = 16 calories from the protein. If you do the math, you’ll see that the slice of bacon provides about “70% of calories from fat.” Even though the actual ratio of fat to protein is 50:50. I hope that makes sense.

Or an egg: It has 11 grams of fat and 13 grams of protein. So it has more protein than fat, right? But the “calories from fat” are about 66% and the “calories from protein” are about 34%. (Not counting the bit of carb that is in an egg.

A cooked beef patty might be made from “80% lean beef,” but that doesn’t mean it’s 80% protein. Far from it. Again, it does contain more protein than fat, but the calories from fat are higher because fat contains more calories.

A few thoughts about getting more fats:

• Scrambled eggs; instead of putting milk in the mix, put lots of butter (no liquid).

• Add lots of mayonnaise to cold things (canned fish, etc.) and use it as a dip. See if you can buy mayo made with olive oil (not a mix of olive and something else) or avocado oil.

• Add butter to hot things (steak, etc.).

As for skipping a meal, someone suggested skipping dinner. Personally I am not hungry in the morning and can happily go all day without eating. In the past I didn’t care whether I ate in the daytime, but I would pig out at night. Now, on keto, I eat a meal at dinner time (usually around 6 pm) and a second meal a few hours later. You might consider this too if you’re concerned about alcohol cravings in the evening.

Good luck!

(Matthew) #29

Hi everyone who has contributed here.

I thought I would give you an update on my progress after one week on Keto as well as reply to your respective posts since I had a reply limit on my first day here.

Laurie, this was incredibly useful. I feel I will be coming back to post regularly to make sure I am achieving the right fat and protein balance. I cannot thank you enough for this. Really.

Robert, After I read this post from you, I just kept repeating to myself some of your main killer lines not even fully consciously; as if it was some kind of mantra. Since following Keto probably for the first time in my middle age I have had zero, let me repeat ZERO cravings for alcohol. I’ll expand on this a little more below as I update you on my progress.

I’ve cut out all sugar for three days now and staggeringly I haven’t really craved it except for once yesterday. I’ll go into that below.
I am overwhelmingly surprised by the support here and particularly the high quality feedback which has been invaluable in my early days following a Keto diet.

Progress
After 7 days on Keto, I feel for the first time in my life that I am full control of what I am putting in and doing to my body. I cannot overstate the benefits of determining what I eat and knowing what I eat has played out on my life after 7 days on Keto. I also believe this feeling of control has been instrumental in curbing my cravings towards alcohol. I just don’t want a beer in situations I would normally cave in. I physically and mentally don’t want to drink beer. Overall, I feel more attentive, animated, social and less anxious than before.

My biggest test came yesterday when I shouted a friend out to see a movie at the cinema. I have ALWAYS had Pópcorn and Pepsi when I watch a flick at the cine. This time I bought my friend her Bag of Popcorn, Hot dog and Coke and I entered with my Backpack which I usually carry everywhere I go. Inside I had my bottle of water. I couldn’t help but feel a little envious and awkward about the whole situation. But as I watched the movie I realised, ‘I feel good, I am in control.’ but physically I did feel good and mentally more astute, because I didn’t feel bloated down by the crap that I normally would eat.

This is huge. For me this is everything. Living in the moment and sacrificing the now for your better furture self. One bad day or even one millisecond lapse of judgement can put your life into a downward spiral. For that reason I am in control may be only in so far of what I put into my body and what I do with my body, but I don’t take that for granted. It’s a pretty good place to be…Better than nihilistic roads I’ve been down before.
Cheers all and many thanks.

(Matthew) #30

Hi,

I went shopping for Coconut Oil and the only place I could find it was in a health food shop for 27,000 COP (Approx 9 US dollars for 300ml Coco oil Virgen).
How does this fair against prices in the US?
WIN_20181022_09_48_10_Pro

(Joanna Parszyk ) #31

I hope your plan will work for you! Fingers crossed! We are here for each other on this forum.

(Matthew) #32

Can anyone help me with these lingering questions.

Is it better that my kidneys and liver process fat from Meats and Oils in place of Sugars and Carbs?

is it better that our bodies run off fats rather than carbs? Why

I know the answer to these questions are probably pivotal to why people chose the Keto diet in the first place, but what scientific evidence is there that I could show others for my decision to choose the keto diet (perhaps in the form of a comprehensive presentation on you Tube which sums it up).

Thank you in advance

(Matthew) #33

The other question relates to a feeling I have that I’m missing on some electrolytes. I feel foggy and sometimes lightheaded in the morning even after I have eaten. Could this be about the sugar withdrawal and or missing electrolytes?

I’ve read on other some other topics that magnesium and potassium sometimes needs to be supplemented. If anyone could offer any information on this I would be very greatful.

thanks.

(Ellie) #34

Your best bet for answers to questions like that are the 2ketodudes podcasts. Start with the early ones and work your way up. The link is usually at the banner top of the page on this site.

(Ellie) #35

Definitely electrolytes.
Search for ketoaide on this site and you’ll find a recipe, from Brenda I think, that should help.
I take potassium supplements if I feel low energy, or have muscle cramps, and that helps.

(Matthew) #36

Will do, while I’m preparing my lunch today. Thank you.

(Matthew) #37

I found it and bookmarked it to my favourites. Ta.

(Matthew) #38

Few videos show up on their video playlist? Can’t find early ones… only from one month ago until now. See below.

(Ellie) #39

It was the podcasts rather than the videos.

Start with 1! :grin:

(Matthew) #40

Doh!. Ty very much