Started a Ketogenic Diet 14-10-2018

(Matthew) #81

If you mean a starting out point upon which to assess my progress on the diet, then yes.

(Running from stupidity) #82

Yup.

(Matthew) #83

I donā€™t want more carbs. On the contrary. I donā€™t crave them at all.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #84

seven months next week

(Matthew) #85

In the Ideal Diet debate which I linked above, I didnā€™t get that impression from him. If anything I found him a good counter (or middle man) to the hard core ideologically possessed vegan Kip Andersen to his right. Having said that, I havenā€™t seen much from Dr Khan nor am I likely to watch anything more from him since I already understand as clear as day where he stands. Itā€™s pretty much follows the American cardiovascular/dietary guidelines unless Iā€™m mistaken.

(Matthew) #86

How did you come across it Regina? I was watching a Joe Rogan podcast with Rhonda Patrick about intermittent fasting if my memory serves me and also an eye opener was jordan peterson talking about himand his daughterā€™s experience on the carnivore diet. And then I became obsessed watching all things nutritional based and Keto caught my attention.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #87

Warning: stream of consciousness ahead - Right now Saul is watching Mexican ninja warriors. I guess American Ninja starts up again in January - but I will truly miss watching in bed with cheese sticks and goldfish. Keto is wonderful, but there are still old memoriesā€¦Wait - I know, cheese sticks and :pig2: rinds.

(Matthew) #88

Iā€™m afraid you lost me totally :thinking:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #89

For some reason (I donā€™t remember) I bought the plant-based book ā€œHow Not To Die.ā€ In it, (as I recall) he mentioned the Banting diet. I read the original ā€œLetter on Corpulence.ā€ Something clicked - I had been drinking eight glasses of a milk a day. I stopped cold turkey. Got a kick out of how much liquor and wine Banting was allowed to drink (and he still lost weight!!) I date my first day at April 18. I officially started April 17, but had a piece of toast - because Banting got away with one a day. Do I overthink things or what? Have no clue how I found the forums but joined in May. Bought pee strips at three months out (too late.) Started tracking at four months and bought my Keto-Mojo at five months.

(Matthew) #90

Thatā€™s interesting your induction or road towards Keto. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll bother with the tracking and pee strips unless my results come back pre or existing type 2 diabetes. What are your thoughts on that?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #91

I love stuff like that. I want to make sure my body is (at least at one point daily) producing ketones. Maybe I am obsessive. I am also trying to lower my blood glucose. So I check that as well. But there is absolutely no need if you are happy with your results. Another criticism of the video. They went on and on about carnivores. Every diet has variations. I will never be a carnivore, but that is a personal choice. Why is there no mention of vegans on potato chips? Meat is a lot more nourishing than that.

(Matthew) #92

I definitely have had Keto flu like symptoms. The most notable being the processing of high fats by my liver and kidneys. After some big fatty breakfast meals I have sometimes had a liquidy diarrhea discharge. I imagine itā€™s because the liver is rejecting the exces fat. Iā€™ve also had slight discomfort on my left side after eating. Kidney or pancreas I donā€™t know. I put it down to my organs adjusting to the fat input since I was always pretty careful about my fat intake in meals prior.
Huge readjustment I imagine for the body.

(Matthew) #93

I am relatively knew to the scene and remain open minded about opposing opinions especially from people who are real doctors. As I alludd to earlier I think the video highlighted to me I need to lower my protein intake, specifically the amount of meat I am consuming. These vegans funnily enough are seemingly becoming more receptive to the idea of a high healthy fat intake perhaps not being all that bad on a low carb diet even if that maybe counter intuitive to their position.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #94

I have learned I do best with whole foods for fats - nuts, avocados, bacon, meat. I canā€™t do HWC, coconut oil is a disaster, sometimes too much olive oil is a disaster, blue cheese dressing is okay. Butter is okay too.

(Matthew) #95

I think I have just had a red pill moment based on what you wrote above! I think itā€™s the excess olive oil and perhaps coconut oil. Instead of 2 tablepoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in the pan, may be I should limit it to one of each and not drink the excess fat after the meal. More high fatty foods in place of oils perhaps. Trial and error as they say. Whatā€™s HWC?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #96

HWC is heavy whipping cream - delicious butā€¦I tried a quarter teaspoon of coconut oil - result was cramps and diarrhea. Just not worth it. Yes, just whole foods. I believe fats in whole foods are easier on the stomach, but still do the job of delivering fat.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #97

Just skip the drinking of the excess fat. Yuck! Some people like it, but it is not necessary.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #98

My husband is Honduran and cooks everything we eat in coconut oil. That does not bother me. And itā€™s a great high-heat oil. What bothers me is trying to eat coconut oil by itself. Or any kind of oil, for that matter.

(Matthew) #99

Ah ok, I think I am the same with the cream. Although I probably wouldnā€™t venture into the HWC territory, I did have my coffee after lunch with cream in itā€¦I didnā€™t like the feel afterwards, so Iā€™ll throw that into the ā€˜Not going there againā€™ basket.

You have given me an epiphany regarding the whole foods aspect. Thank you!

(Matthew) #100

Will do! Good advice.