Started a 5-day fast this morning! Looking for comrades

(christa) #1

Hi ladies! I’ve fasted a fair number of times now, but 5 days will be the longest since I did a “detox” 7-day fast in college.

So far, I have the usual hunger pangs. Typically, though, day 2 is unbearable for me.

Anyone else currently fasting? I’m doing occasional bone broth and electrolytes, plus tea and coffee. But I’d love to hear from any kind of fasting friend! Water only/broth/fat fast/whatever!

(Sheri Knauer) #2

I started a hopefully 36 hour at the least fast after last nights meal. So I started around 7pm last night. I don’t have a lot of body fat to maintain an extended fast, say like a 5 day, so I do have a BPC in the morning to get my coffee, caffeine, and fat fix to get me through. I’ll have water only from this point on until tomorrow mornings BPC, but will supplement with bone broth or some sort of fat if I feel I need to to get me through the day. My goal is to take advantage of autophagy, not weight loss and of course to lower insulin levels. Good luck with the fast!

(christa) #3

Nice! BPC in the morning sounds like a good strategy, especially if you don’t have a lot of excess fat to burn (I have plenty!) I haven’t gotten to the point that I can do just water to get me through the day. Someday. For now I do coffee with HWC in the morning, and green tea throughout the day, with bone broth at lunch and dinner times. Good luck to you as well! Autophagy is pretty amazing.

(Sheri Knauer) #4

I don’t know how many times you have fasted before but it does seem to get easier. The first time i did an extended fast (I had been doing IF for at least 4 or 5 months at that point) it was a 5 day and it was tough but I had my coffee, bone broth, etc. I kinda went about that one wrong because I coincided it with when my husband and I both had colonoscopies scheduled with in 2 days of each other (I know, party animals we are). He is not keto or low carb so I thought to help him I would fast with him when he started to fast for his procedure and he can’t go for a long time without eating. Then I figured I would just keep fasting until my procedure was done so there was a point I got to where I didn’t have a choice, I had to keep going. The next fast I did was about 36ish hours and I made that through with one BPC in the am and one in the afternoon, then some macha tea with a splash of HWC during dinner. I felt like the whole time I am fighting the hunger pangs. This time I have only had water since my BPC this morning and, although I have been feeling hungry, its been a bit more tolerable. The hard part will be preparing dinner for the family…

(christa) #5

This is definitely true. I was doing IF (very lazily) for about 6 months before I tried a 3-day fast, and I’ve done 3 since March. The first was miserable, as was the second one. The last one was much, much better (though day 2 was still the pits!) And now this one seems fine so far? I’m on day 2, but it’s not miserable. The last 3-day went so well that I figured I’d try 5; so far, so good!

I do my fasts similar to you ladies: BPC and bone broth once a day and of course tons of water + electrolytes. My last one I replaced coffee with a splash of cream (no butter or CO) twice daily and a cup of bone broth in the evening. I found day 2 and 3 rough, but day 4 was magic, totally energized and no hunger. Happy fasting, hope it goes well for you!

(christa) #7

Thanks! I made it through day 2 — always the hardest in past fasts. Hopefully tomorrow will be even easier, and I make it to days 4 & 5!

(Sascha Heid) #8

I’m in.
I was restricting protein for the last week and got deeper into ketosis this way.
I hope it will work, my last couple of attempts at fasting were quite unsuccessful.
Btw. i’m currently watching some BBC documentaries and i noticed that most predators eat very rarely. Once a week, every few weeks or maybe even only once a year (a crocodile waiting for the migrating heard) and they are certainly not complaining or losing muscle.
I’m fasting for the crocs! :slight_smile:

edit: Oh shit i’m in the female sub, lol.

(christa) #9

Huzzah! Welcome. I cross-posted to the main Fasting > Extended category, too, but whatever!

Go crocs! The “need” to eat daily definitely seems more psychological than physiological—at least for people with excess body fat, which is a majority of North Americans (myself included!)