Starbucks Sous Vide Bites

(Jane) #1

I was looking at the food case standing in line at a Starbucks in Ft Worth and commented to my husband that Starbucks was missing the boat not offering keto-friendly food for its customers.

And lo and behold… there on the menu was a new item - sous vide egg bites! No carbs that I could tell. Eggs with various combinations of meat and cheese.

I wasn’t hungry so didn’t try them but I will next time!
:+1:

(Jane) #2

I just looked up the nutrition on the bacon and gruyere cheese and 0 carbs.

:smiley:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #3

I don’t believe that to be accurate.

https://www.starbucks.com/menu/food/hot-breakfast/sous-vide-egg-bites-bacon-gruyere

9g per serving on the bacon gruyere.

I make a homebrew version that is lower.

(Jay AM) #4

Don’t fall into the trap I did on these stupid things. They have lots of carbs. Most industrial food usually gets additives for texture because the food has to be frozen and shipped. So, lots of carby additives to get that nice taste, look, and texture.

(Georgia) #5

Here’s the ingredients list from the Starbucks website. Bottom line up front, they contain rice starch in addition to questionable ingredients in the cheeses, etc.

So not really just eggs, bacon and cheese.

Ingredients

cottage cheese (cultured skim milk, skim milk, milk, cream, contains 2 % or less of: whey, lactose, salt, maltodextrin, guar gum, citric acid, carrageenan, mono- and diglycerides, locust bean gum, xanthan gum, carob bean gum, potassium sorbate, carbon dioxide [to maintain freshness], natural flavor, vitamin a palmitate, enzymes), eggs (eggs, citric acid), monterey jack cheese (pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes, potato starch, powdered cellulose, natamycin [a natural mold inhibitor]), unsalted butter (pasteurized cream, natural flavors), gruyere cheese (pasteurized part-skim milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes, potato starch, powdered cellulose, natamycin [a natural mold inhibitor]), uncured bacon - no nitrites or nitrates added except as naturally occuring in sea salt and celery juice powder (pork belly, water, sea salt, cane sugar, natural flavors), rice starch, hot sauce (distilled vinegar, red pepper, salt), salt. contains: egg, milk.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #6

Not sure where you’re looking, but it has 9g of carbs. And that’s net. I actually looked this up the other day hoping it would be an option, but quickly passed when I saw it.

I’d check again if I were you.
I took a screen shot of it for you, but it’s taking forever to upload, so I took it off.

(Jane) #7

You guys are right. Dang. Looks like they are nothing but crap.

I travel 80-90% for my job so was hoping this was an alternative when I am on the road.

I still think they are missing the boat so hopefully one day they will offer real food with very low carbs.

(Lonnie Hedley) #8

They have kerrygold and HWC. So…they have something Keto friendly.

(Jane) #9

I didn’t know that. Thanks!

if you do even 15 minutes of exercise and minimize your carbs elsewhere (say by reducing pointless vegetables) then these are an ok alternative.

theres more nutrition in them than in cream and butter.

(Alec) #11

I would prefer natural cream and butter to some industrial concoction.