Standing Desk users?

(Allie) #21

Mind Body Future Exercise Ball Chair & Stability Ring. 65cm Turquoise. ANTI-SLIP & ANTI-BURST FOR SAFETY. Ideal for Yoga, Pilates or Birthing Therapy - Includes Bonus eGuide & Pump https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072QKYBH4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_thBRBb2XBKM2Q

This is what I’m looking at but will save the request for when we move to our new site as I’m told space will be more limited there :grimacing:

Personally hate standing, I am one of those people that either needs to walk or sit however I am willing to consider it. So , a couple of questions

Was anyone else someone who hated standing before getting the desk?

If you work from home and no one (except you) will pay, why not simply pile some boxes on a desk or table and put your computer on top of that (safely of course). There is very little paper in what I do, it is usually directly on my laptop, So if I put my laptop on boxes isn’t that the same if I do not care how it looks or want to try it out before committing?

@islandlight did you mean you prefer the exercise ball to the standing desk or simply that the exercise ball was better than buying a special seat that works the same? Which do you prefer the standing desk or sitting on the ball?

Finally since we do not trust the conventional diet advice or the conventional exercise advice or the conventional cholesterol advice, what makes you think the standing is the new smoking!? is reliable advice?

(Laurie) #23

I’d rather stand/walk or lie down than sit. I just don’t like sitting. I lie down to read, do paperwork, etc.

Of course you can use boxes.

My first “standing desk” was an adjustable height desk (now discontinued) from Ikea.

My second one–the one I used the longest, about 8 years–was jury rigged using boxes. The monitor was kind of precarious, and I live in an earthquake zone, so I anchored it to the ceiling with a shoelace.

My third and current standing desk is actually a shelving unit with most of the shelves missing. Keyboard is at elbow height, and monitor is on a box because I want it at eye level (ergonomics).

You can simply place your laptop on a box on a desk. If you want to go ergonomic, you can get an external keyboard and mouse and have these at elbow level, and put the laptop itself on an even higher box.

I meant that an exercise ball is better than a ball chair, because with the freestanding ball you work more muscles. And it’s way cheaper! And you can use it for exercise when you’re not working.

I prefer the standing desk; as I mentioned above, I don’t like sitting.

Yes, sitting is supposed to be bad for you, but standing all day can have disadvantages too. I guess you can’t win.

Or . . . check out treadmill desks! Or under desk treadmills:

(less is more, more or less) #24

We have a shared treadmill desk, which I also love. I don’t love how wasteful it is, given the electricity it consumes for run.

(Jeb Bower) #25

I know they’re trying to make sitting the new “it” thing for health, but standing desks don’t do anything.

"Standing all day is no better than remaining on your rear end, says Alan Hedge, a professor in the Department of Design and Environment Analysis at Cornell University. “If what you’re doing is replacing sitting with standing, you’re not actually doing your body any favors,” he says. “In fact, you’re introducing a whole variety of new risk factors.” "

If you don’t mind putting holes in your wall this is an easy/cheap way to make a standing desk at elbow height. You will probably need to elevate the monitor on the desk.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049FSCQG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Alise-Stainless-Steel-Brackets-J5207B-4P/dp/B073VC7NK2/ref=sr_1_3_acs_ac_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538144603&sr=8-3-acs&keywords=shelf+bracket

I’ve used a standing desk for something like 10 years now. Hard to believe it’s been that long, but I think it has. I read an article in the NY Times about it, so I built myself a frame to put my computer monitor and keyboard up on. I work for state government, and everyone thought I was nuts - especially since I’m a woman and I was bringing my chargeable drill/screwdriver in to the office to remove the keyboard tray from the desk and attach it to this wooden frame I had built. Later, they bought me an adjustable set-up that I used in the second office I had to keep, and now I have a single office with a fixed standing station, and a chair that is high enough that I can sit when I want to.

You should be able to sit down for a while every hour - you’re not meant to stand the entire day. The mat is great, but you still need to sit down for 10 min or so every hour. And of course walking is great, too.

Now lots and lots of people around me having standing stations as well.

I find that I have much more energy at the end of the day - I just generally feel better. If I haven’t slept the night before or something, I might sit for some portion of the day, but I find I always want to stand at least some.

(Katie) #28

Yes. I learned from a knowledgeable source that it is good to mix it up–sitting all day is not good and standing in one spot all day is not good. Great that you are doing walks!

(Wendy) #29

Man I wish I could sit every hour. I get 2 15 min breaks and a 30 minute lunch. That’s when I get to sit. This is often over 10 hours. But still I get to walk most of the time. I hate standing for long periods of time. I’d rather sit in one place.

(Bob M) #32

I’ve been using a standing desk for years. 15 minutes standing and 45 minutes sitting, about. I have a program to remind me to sit and stand.

I also have an office but print to a central printer, so I have to go there to get anything I print.

(Ohio ) #34

I work intermittently on a PC only for sales. But when I do I’m also standing (upside down)

(Robin) #35

Mind blown

(Bob M) #36

Ditto.

Can’t imagine being upside down for too long. How long can you do that?

(Ohio ) #37

Really depends. Sometimes, not all, honesty. But most days 5-10 minutes per session. 20-30 when I’m feeling good. I’ve noticed that stressors that make me squirm, flex, move around a little, end up popping my spinal column. Feels incredible.

(Bob M) #38

That makes sense. I always wanted an inversion table.

Are you using the projector’s function to turn the screen’s picture upside down?

(Ohio ) #39

Correct.

This is a device I don’t feel like I can live without.

*Along with a pull up bar.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #40

Wow! I thought you were joking about being upside down. I’m gald you can do it; my head and neck could never take the stress.