Stalls - Plateaus - etc. Looking back and being 100% honest

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

Not only HS-CRP but also WBC, erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), and plasma viscosity (PV). Your ferritin level can also be an indicator, I understand. An analysis of lipids might also tell someting (e.g. levels of arachidonic acid or ω-6 fatty acids).

The reaction to casein and/or whey protein can take various forms, but often it is an inflammatory response, similar to the gluten reaction.

Joint pain, swelling, and arthritis-like pain are also symptoms of systemic inflammation.

(hottie turned hag) #46

Inflammation is an immune system response; it can be systemic or localized. It can be gauged by CRP, ESR, leukocyte count, platelet count, RBC count, iron levels, ferritin levels just off the top.

Impossible, however to pinpoint its dietary causes via labs, in the way you mean.

ETA: @PaulL HA we cross posted! :grinning:

(hottie turned hag) #47

@ArtMeursault Your sarcasm is not endearing. :no_mouth:

(Susan) #48

Most of the videos on youtube I used to binge watch before finding this amazing forum, were of women that had lost over 100 pounds in a year or less on Keto, but most of them were doing tons of exercise daily at the gym as well.

(hottie turned hag) #49

My losses are around 60+ lbs or more-ish (didn’t have a starting weight but my shape was akin to a barrel, didn’t weigh until months in and was 145 THEN and MUCH smaller so had to have been 165-170 at the start. Am now 114) and I did ZERO EXERCISE. Zero.

It can be done that way, I am a living example.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #50

It’s worth pointing out for newcomers that exercise is not helpful for losing weight and is not required on a ketogenic diet. However, exercise does promote mitochondrial healing, helps lower insulin resistance, and improves the resting metabolic rate. So if you enjoy exercise, it has many benefits. But don’t expect to be able to exercise away that Krispy Kreme you ate ten years ago! (Ketosis will take care of that.)

(George) #51

The quick answer, is no.

Granted, there were times where I ate things I knew weren’t good for me, and I could easily explain a stall those times. But there have also been many times were I follow the exact same food and workout routine for weeks on end, and I’ll see great weight loss for 2 weeks, then nothing for a few weeks, then weight loss again, etc. I really don’t know why that is, and I wish I could figure out the mystery to it, but I just try staying consistent.

(bulkbiker) #52

That’s far more polite than what I was thinking…

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #53

Ilana, you walked nearly 11 miles, and that only burned 500 cals ??? Seems like it should be much higher ? I know it’s not a direct comparison, because I’m a bigger guy, that needs / burns more cals, plus I’m on a 15 % incline, but I’ve been doing 4 miles, for a 1000 burn !
Anyway, 11 miles is a lot of walking ! Good job !

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #54

Totally ! Which is why it’s kind of funny saying I need to lose 10 more lbs… Because in reality, if I could snap my fingers and have the body dream of (which would be even a little more muscles and leaner than I was 5 years ago) I’d lose 25 more lbs of fat, and put on 50 more lbs of lean muscle ) and yes, I know that’s a LOT of lean muscle. But I had close to ‘40’ more lbs of lean muscle 5 years ago, than I do now :frowning: And if that’s not a psychological slap in the face, I don’t know what is :confused:

(mole person) #55

@FishChris Yup. That’s what Samsung Health tells me. I just double checked it on the chart on this site and it’s in pretty close agreement.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #56

Okay. How big are you Ilana ? Obviously it takes fewer cals to move a smaller person… Even after losing 30+ lbs, I’m still 215…

(mole person) #57

@FishChris I’m 106 lbs this morning.

(Charlotte) #58

I know when my progress has stopped its because I got loose with my discipline. When my loss slows or stops I do a 72 hour fast to “recalibrate” and that gets me back on track.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #59

Okay yes, now that makes more sense :slightly_smiling_face: Your like my GF’s size… Which is almost exactly half my size.

(Susan) #60

I know, and this is me so far as well =). I just was mentioning that because @ctviggen (Bob) was wondering how people had lost over 100 in a year, and those videos came to mind. I am going to be walking a lot next summer to get ready for my fall walking, so will probably start do to small amounts as a build up to that. No gym, etc for me though, yuck! haha.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #61

Well, back 11 years ago, I lost about 80 lbs, in about 6 months, with pretty much only diet alone… and I was actually eating some carbs too ! Just counting calories. I did have a very active job though, so it forced my metabolism to keep moving.
After that, I did lose probably another 45 lbs of fat, but that’s when I started hard core weightlifting, and climbing mountains with a 40 lb pack, and so I started to put on a lot of muscle, meaning, my weight on the scale actually started going back up. The muscle gain was relatively easy at first, but slowed WAY down after the first year.

(mole person) #62

This thread is getting derailed a bit by anger over this. I’d rather know your meaning.

My sense is that you aren’t talking about actual clear cheats, like having a hamburger and fries or an ice cream. Although lots of us have these sorts of cheats, it’s definitely not something many of us are “looking to find” ways to do. Mostly, we are trying to never, or very rarely, cheat in this way but our ‘ids’ foul us up.

I think instead that you are talking more about things like fat bomb treats, super fatty and desserty bulletproof coffees, keto desserts, and other keto ‘style’ versions of normally non keto foods such as breads and pizza crusts, etc.

This is a guess though as your statement wasn’t clear. Can you clarify your meaning?

(Splotchy) #63

I don’t always understand plateaus, which don’t necessarily seem related to cheats. For continued weight loss I have to:
-have minimal alcohol
-not eat in the evenings
-have no white carbs
AND
-not assume keto means I can have unlimited (as in many 1000s calories of lardy fatty stuff, constant bullet coffees…

I have relaxed it and seen 4kg wt gain. However, on the good side my %fat and %muscle have been constant during this gain, whereas when I was losing weight it was nearly all fat that was going. Ie the 4kg I have gained is a healthier body composition than the last 4kg I lost. Clothes are tight tho, so I’m going to in-relax it, hope to go down again.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #64

From what I’ve gathered, changing up your habits (time of eating, amount of fasting/not fasting, specific things you eat) helps keep your body on point so it doesn’t adapt and adjust (become static).

Hmmm. I keep looking at what I wrote, and can’t figure out how to make it clearer. Maybe someone else will do a better job.