Stalling... Gaining... AKA UnF*ck My Keto

(jilliangordona) #21

What anti depressant is it? My very fit, genetic lottery boyfriend gained 20lbs when he was prescribed anti depressants and didn’t lose it until he came off of them… this could be a culprit too.

Common side effects of Nexplanon include: irregular menses and weight gain. Other side effects include: depression and pain.

You may want to discuss these things with your doctor in the context of weight loss.

Hope you can figure something out. :hugging:

(Joseph) #23

For what it is worth, when in doubt go back to basics. The wonderful thing about eating ketogenically is you can actually test your blood and see where you are. Are you in ketosis or not. If so how deeply. I see a number of people talking about how they have stalled but generally I do not see people posting their numbers. What you eat and when can have a dramatic effect on your insulin levels. Here is my advice…

1. No snacking. (Eat a full meal or don’t eat)
  2. Test blood ketones every day (avoid artificial ketone products).
  3. Keep carbs as low as possible ( net carb counting doesn’t work for everyone)
    A) How do you know if you need to count net carbs or actual carbs? Test blood ketones every day.
    4). When your ketone levels drop something you ate yesterday or the day before raised your insulin and stopped ketone production. Figure out what it was and drop it like a hot potatoe. You are an individual with individual tolerances. This is the best way to experiment and find out yours.
  4. Excercise - it need not be crazy but move. Walk if nothing else. Even if you eat no carbs ever again your body still produces some sugar from ketosis. Burn it out with the best excercis you can do.
    6). As you lose weight your body undergoes hormonal changes that make your feel hungrier. Don’t starve yourself. Stay in ketosis and move.
  5. The perfect Keto food. - plain chicken wings. Eat them for dinner for a week and see what happens to your numbers.

Experiment- Test - Evaluate.

I challenge you to keep a good blood count of 1.5 and up every day for a month and not lose anything. I know you can do it. Remember you can’t drop carbs without raising fat in yovur diet. Also remember your body will turn excess protein into sugar. We have mental block against fat - 1 year ago I would not have eaten a chicken wing (totally unhealthy) now my daughter calls them health food.

I know I am beating a dead horse here but remember this is actual testable science you can do at home.

Experiment- Test - Evaluate

Be awesome and have a blessed day!

JJ

(Mark Rhodes) #24

Point #4 is well met by me. At week 8 I was an average of 1.1mmol & 38PPM BrAcA. Weeks 9-18 I was .6 & 24PPM (again, averages). I wasn’t initially worried because high ketones do not translate into greater fat loss. However by week 17 I started to look through my food logs and the SNACKS (macadamia, salami) had increased quite a bit. I stopped it and week 19 my numbers were 1.1mmol & 33 PPM.
Most importantly when I had lower numbers I thought I was more smooth. This week I feel more compact. Excellent Point.