Stalled Since December. Returned from Vacation with lots of Walking

It is getting annoying,

Not sure what to do. I lost about 35 lbs on keto and IF starting 15 months ago. Lost about 15 lbs before then so about 50 total. I easily have another 50 to lose. Most of the weight loss was until last September but I continued to lose inches until December. Went from a 22W to a regular 14. I am happy. I feel good. Most people would still describe me as being overweight rather than obese.

I am strictly keto. I rarely eat artificial sweetners, rarely have alcohol, and when I do it does not seem to change anything.

I have not lost any inches since December.

Although I did a lot of extended fasts (5 daysi coffee and cream only and water) n the beginning which really helped my weight loss, they no longer appeal to me. I forced myself to do a few over the last few months but I seem to be at a set point. I would lose a few pounds and put them back on a week later. Also had a very unpleasant fast a couple of months ago, felt off and sugar went very low on Day 3 which never happens to me

In my daily life I do almost no exercise but was recently visiting family in the Mediterranian and was walking miles a day, touring, climbing hills and the food was naturally keto. Mostly had eggs, cheese, lamb, hamburgers and salad daily. Skipped meals when I was not hungry. Did not break keto except on the plane ride home (this is about the 5th time ever that I have knowingly broken keto). Fasted when I got home because I was not hungry, back on keto the next day. Now a few days later I am more or less at the same weight I have been since last September. I am average height and small to medium boned, I refuse to believe that being a size 14 is a healthy size for me especially as I have a spare tire around my waist still.

While I have never tried giving up cheese completely, I never have gastric upset from cheese (do from wheat) and a couple of months ago I severely limited cheese, initially because we ran out and the brands I like were not at my local supermarket and then continued as an experiment. Nothing changed. Same with peanut butter.

I have tried fasting, tried fat fasts (find them sometimes easy, sometimes impossible), tried an egg fast, tried OMAD, tried 36 hour fasts every few days, tried 5 days fasts. Rarely eat outside of an 8 or 12 hour window at most Now tried lots of walking and salads, nothing seems to be working. I do not have a keto meter. I did the urine strips last year, although the cheap breathalyzer does not seem to work well. It registers nothing until Day 3 of a fast. While I rarely check sugar, when I do it seems to be 70 - 95. I am not gaining, simply cannot leave this set point

Not sure what to do to budge it now

(Wendy) #2

The first thing I thought is maybe you put on some muscle weight when you were exercizing more than usual. But you may just be at your body’s set point for now.
I’m only 6 months in so I’ve had a few slow times where I didn’t move for a week or two but obviously not as long as your experiencing. Have you tried upping your fat intake? That is something that seems to get me going again.
Didn’t Carl have about a year stall? I don’t think what your experiencing is out of the norm.

(Olivia) #3

That sounds tough.
I have experience many month long plateaus, too.
Firstly, I do not think you’re doomed to stay at your current weight. I don’t believe in the Set-Point theory. You can definitely get down to a normal BMI range, however, you might need to mix it up a little (and not with fasting)

There are some things, which you could try out for a month or so:

1. Stop eating earlier i.e. just shift your eating window. I did this based on Rhonda Patrick’s advice and it works for me. Another benefit I experience was improved sleep.
  2. speaking of sleeping… actively lower your stress level: try to do some yoga, meditate or journal.
  3. Increase your activity level. Walk more (and quantify it), swim, dance, go running, etc. Sometimes it helps to focus on exercise goals rather than the scale.
  4. Return to a strict macro-crack down. Track and weigh everything you eat the same way you did it in your first keto-weeks
  5. Count calories. Determine you TDEE and BMR and eat between these two numbers. https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/