Stalled for two months

I’ve been stalled for two months and there’s a host of reasons I think I could be :confused: I’m really just whining so feel free to ignore me.

I may or may have indulged in too much keto cheesecake for a couple weeks
Not eating enough
Eating too late (also diabetic so bad for glucose)
Stress?
Too many nuts
Too many artificial sweeteners?
Too much peanut butter

I cut back on the cheesecake, stopped drinking energy drinks (only two this past month I believe) and have limited my diet sodas to no more than 2 a day and will not buy more once they run out. I’ve scaled back on the pecans (allergic to hazelnuts, almonds, and walnuts) and since I just ran out of peanut butter, will work on not buying anymore. I did have my tubes tied the beginning of the month and recently had a spinal cortisone shot. I’ve also just started doing part time work at a farm, so may have some inflammation from muscles being used that aren’t used to it? I’m going back to working on meal planning to try and eat more. Unfortunately, the bydureon bcise I’m on slows digestion so I feel full longer and I’m fat adapted because I just don’t fee hungry anymore. I’m sure many of you know this feeling, as well as finding you get full on less food at this point. I don’t know if I should try an extended fast to jump start things again, or increase fats in my meals to up the calories. If I weren’t diabetic, I would up carbs a bit, but my levels have been hoovering about 100-110 with ease and I really like seeing those number- although I am striving to bring them down more with diet and weight loss. BLEH! Thank you for “listening” all :slight_smile:

Hang in there! I think you’re on the right track with nuts, timing of eating, artificial sweeteners, stress, etc.

If you’re going to raise your caloric intake I would:

• stick to real, whole foods - meat, fish, eggs and low carb vegetables. That’s it (no peanut butter, no Keto desserts, no diet sodas, though it sounds like you’re already on your way with that).
  • alternate generous eating (OMAD or TMAD) with longer periods of fasting

It might be that your goal numbers right now should involve blood glucose rather than pounds. Not that your weight won’t change - it will! - but it will change as your metabolism improves, so your glucose readings are actually your best actionable numbers.

(Jane) #3

Stalls are the devil! But it sounds like you have a nice list to start on to get your weight loss heading in the right direction again. Don’t forget all the healing your body has to do from the tubal and that will take priority over fat burning.

Have you tried fasting yet? You mentioned it as a possibility and it worked for me to break my 2-month stall. I was in a similar situation where I’d gotten a bit complacent and was eating some of the things you mentioned.

Just remember your salt if you do… and join us on the October fasting thread for support. The best thing about fasting is if you feel bad you can just eat! And start another fast when you think you are ready.

I had a co-worker tell me if they did a multi-day fast they would have to do it on the weekend and would spend the whole time on the couch. He’s not keto so I would imagine he would spend his whole weekend starving and thinking of food! I told him I did better fasting during the week when I was busy at work and didn’t have as much time to think about food.

(Susan) #4

Awww, Missi, I am sure that this is frustrating; but the good thing is you yourself know what you need to get things back on track, so that is a positive thing in and of itself. I wish you all the best in getting things going in the right direction and losing again, take care =)).

I’ve actually already brought my a1c down to 6.4 from 9.7 since the middle of Jan, and that’s with using about 80% less insulin than I was before. I also lost 70lbs from Jan til the beginning of August. I’ve gained about 8 back since my surgery in Sept and it’s frustrating. I need to lose weight as losing weight will help with insulin resistance, which in turn will help with keeping insulin levels lower etc which will help me work on reducing exogenous insulin and possibly eliminating it which is my hope.
Wish it was easier to pinpoint exactly what needs to be changed to lose weight. Even a modest loss of like 3 lbs a month would be great - every little bit helps.

I actually did three unintentional 24 hour fast back in August! I had super busy days and just kept going and going til I finally stopped and ate. I didn’t feel weak, etc or anything so that told me I could most likely do one on purpose. I’m not sure if I should focus on getting rid of my complacency with the bad habits, or do that and fast. I toyed with the idea of an egg fast but honestly that doesn’t seem like it would be satisfying to do for three days. I’m going to make more of an effort to log my foods. I do have numerous apps to choose from…I just need to do it >.< lol

:slight_smile:

(Susan) #7

This is awesome, Missi! Well done. I am positive that since you have done this before; and you know what to do, that you can certainly do this again, and keep going with it until you are at your goal weight and feel amazing =)). I wish you all the best.

This is AWESOME!!! Well done, Missi! :clap::clap::clap:

(Marianne) #9

Crazy, right? That was dieting in general for me.

And they say keto is not sustainable.

(Marianne) #10

Wow, sounds like you are doing something right - and, I think you have identified the likely causes of your stall.

Maybe try to return to the basics and keep it simple. Mix up the number of times you eat every day with maybe some light fasting thrown in to avoid homeostasis while keeping your body fed.

Thanks all :slight_smile: I’ll get this figured out and hopefully see the scale start moving downwards again. Doesn’t have to be quick, just as long as it goes south cause I sure didn’t gain this all at once. The best part of going keto has been the sugar control and the ability to eat some carbs in the form of veggies and not have my sugar spike. It’s a great feeling

Hang in there. You may not see movement on the scale but other victories are likely taking place in your body. I stalled for around 2 month’s some while back and then suddenly dropped 5kgs (11lbs over the course of 3 days). The scale will move, it’s just a matter of ketoing on.

I’m gonna! I’m going to focus on changing what I think needs to be changed and had my son hide the scale so it’s not taunting me!