Squid Rings 🦑

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

Has anyone seen this? I discovered these at work today. On first glance I thought they were onion rings. 4 grams of carbs per 113 grams works out to 3.5 grams per 100. Not bad, but not great either. I’m tempted to try them. I know eating squid is like eating rubber, but who knows. Maybe sous vide will work some sort of magic on them.

I’ve only used them before I was Keto to make fried calamari. I’ve not tried them with Keto-friendly breading. But now that you mention it… I do love fried calamari. I may put that on an upcoming menu. :slight_smile:

(Central Florida Bob ) #3

Fixed it for you.

Seriously, I love good squid. Yeah, I’ve had some with the texture of rubber bands. I’ve also had some with the texture of a good steak. What you get depends on how good that brand is and how well the squid was handled. I’m skeptical of how Chinese seafood is handled from things I’ve seen online.

My favorite way is in a marinara sauce covered with good Parmesan cheese. Marinara can be kept low enough in carb that a little is fine while keto. Olive oil and garlic also works.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

If I go for this stuff, I intend to sous vide it to see how that works out. I’ll probably put some butter in the bag with it. And maybe some olive oil per your suggestion. Thanks.

You can dip them in flour, seeds, pork rinds, etc., whichever you prefer, and fry them like calamari :slight_smile: