Spreading the word!

(Cathy Schroder) #1

I had a fabulous visit at my doctors today. He has been very supportive of me following a ketogenic diet to a point. Now that I have reversed my T2 of fourteen years (9.8 to 5.5 in just under three months), he has been asking me to include some more “healthy” carbs. I did this for one week just to show him what would happen, and although my blood sugars didn’t get too high, I gained seven pounds.

I am now back on the bandwagon with his blessing and spent half an hour with the practice nurse and the receptionist after my appointment answering their questions. I have promised to take a raft of books I with me next Wednesday when I have my next HbA1c test. I’m not worried about the results! I love this new lifestyle!

(Omar Newsome) #2

Great job! Spread the word!

(Keto in Katy) #3

Outstanding. And isn’t it a little odd that we have to demonstrate to MDs how nutrition impacts our health? Maybe one day they might want to have formal medical education look into that.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #4

Be careful what you wish for. I may be a pessimist, but I fear that M.D.s in training getting more formal education in nutrition could make the situation worse and not better. Great if they were being educated by low-carb / keto-savvy people, but I fear they would not be. :frowning:

(Tom) #5

At my medical school our nutrition education is the usual content, provided by an RD. As one can imagine, I try to skip those lectures.

(Keto in Katy) #6

But aren’t you just a little bit tempted to challenge those ideas with your understanding of the current nutritional research? I think it would be fun to introduce some uncomfortable questions into the dialogue.

Why just sit there and let the bullshit flow? Med students especially deserve to know better.

Awesome sauce!

(Tom) #8

Oh, yes, quite tempted, but for a variety of social and academic reasons I bite my tongue, not the least of which being I have so much crap to do on a daily basis it’s hard for me to be completely loaded for bear and have every study I want to cite at the tip of my tongue. Then there’s the fact that nobody likes a gunner who takes the entire lecture hall off topic, because at that point, it won’t matter how salient my points are, none of my classmates will be receptive. I’ve had a lot of luck in interpersonal cases, gently correcting assumptions about how much protein I eat, etc, so that’s what I’ll do. And finally, not that I’m prone to such things, but should I accidentally share my unfiltered opinion of a subject matter and it cause too much of an uproar/insult/kerfluffle, it’s technically unprofessional conduct and that’ll get me in hot water. Thus, I just keep being awesome and not shying away when faculty and students comment on the improvement in my health. I’ve already managed to get two faculty members on board, so I’d say I’m on the right track. :smile:

Are you in Oz? And if so, would you mind sharing who your GP is? Finding knowledgeable medicos is v tricky!

(Cathy Schroder) #10

I am in Australia, but I live in North West Victoria in a tiny place called Patchewollock. My GP is based in Hopetoun. Are you any where near here?

Hi Cathy—no I’m in Queensland on the Sunny Coast. They’re a bit thin on the ground here but I found one practicing not far from here (tho he’s v reluctant to be labeled)
Thx!