Spinach oxalate kidney stones

I like spinach,I plan to eat large amounts of it.Is eating alot spinach on keto bad idea? I read it have huge amounts of oxalate and that it causes kidney stones,I also heard keto causes kidney stones,I fear I get kidney stone if I eat alot spinach.

Spinach have good micro nutrient content and its cheap and low carb.I planned to make it my main vegetable but the the oxalate content makes me nervous,your thoughts?

(Brian) #2

Why not use a mixture of greens. There are quite a few of them. Kale, turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens, rutabaga greens, and beet greens are all edible and mixtures can be fairly tasty if prepared well.

Not saying not to use spinach, I do. But that’s not all I eat, not by a long shot. Expand the horizons a little! :slight_smile:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #3

I am poor and in my country,in the supermarkets where I go,there is much smaller selection of vegetables.Also I have strong fructose intolerance,I get diarhea from things you would never expect.Radishes,tomatos,cucumber is all fructose.

I am not saying I will only eat spinach,I am saying considering my country,health & financial status,spinach seems like good candidate for primary,go to vegetable.

(Brian) #5

Any chance you could grow some of your own? Greens of numerous kinds aren’t so difficult to grow if you have the space. Even a patio or a few windows might be enough for you. (?)

I am thankful for your advice but I would like if we could get to the topic of this thread,oxalate,kidney stones,spinach and keto.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #8

Please read the above. Daily consumption seems to be okay if you do not have a history of kidney stones. Cooked is even better.

(Jay AM) #9

https://davyandtracy.com/green-smoothies/oxalates-spinach-oxalic-acid-health-concern/

https://www.docmuscles.com/tag/kidney-stones/

(Bunny) #10

This should do it!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Apple cider vinegar is an old folk remedy for kidney stones. (Likewise, cranberry juice, but it’s not as keto-friendly.)

There are different kinds of kidney stones that can occur in different urine environments in the kidney.

The concern with spinach, as noted in previous posts, is the risk of having too much oxalic acid in the blood that combines with calcium being excreted by the kidneys in the urine. If these two ingredients are concentrated in the urine at the kidney, and are not flushed through with enough water, then crystals of calcium oxalate can form and these crystals can combine to form a stone.

Cooking spinach can reduce the amount of oxalate taken into the body and ingested.

Combining the spinach with a calcium rich dairy food such as cheeses will reduce the amount of oxalate absorbed as the calcium binds the oxalate in the intestinal tract rather than allowing it to be absorbed into the blood stream.

Maintaining good hydration with water to prevent the urine from becoming concentrated is an underlying step to prevent calcium oxalate kidney stones.

There are other kidney stones that can occur. Uric acid kidney stones, for example, can occur in insulin resistant people. It is another related topic.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

(singing) "What a friend we have in Cheeses . . . "

Yes, I posted it, and I’m not a bit sorry, so there! :grinning:

(Brian) #14

:smiley:
Hadn’t heard that one…

I’ve heard such phrases started with “Groaner Alert!” LOL!!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

Nah! Much more fun not to warn y’all.