Spinach, Kale and others

Is there a way to make these sexy that doesn’t involve HWC please?

Butter? Bacon grease? When I used to eat Kale, I made kale chips with olive oil and salt. Satisfied the chips/crunching urge now and then. Flavor was good, too, but I don’t eat kale any more and they were too much work for the payoff (destemming).

(Allie) #3

Well personally I feed them to my hens who turn them into really tasty eggs which I eat, oh but, even my hens refuse to eat kale.

Not a fan of Kale at all, but spinach I’ll put in pretty much anything ; )

Alone, or as a side, I like it best just wilted off in some butter or ghee with a little garlic.

@PrimalBrian bacon and butter, of course, that fixes everything! I like the sound of kale crisps, you make a good point about destemming kale, perhaps I’d find it more palatable if I made that effort!
@Shortstuff smart hens! The local cows declined my kale too!
@ElgynsToy I was hoping you’d have a magical kale recipe to make it beautiful! I like spinach but I keep getting a weird toe ache the day after eating it which is really bizarre!

I’m going to try and create a kale,bacon, butter and cheese side dish and cremate it under a grill

I’m neither an MD nor even close, but google pain, spinach, and oxalates.

Ha…reminds me of my favorite kale story ever: https://www.today.com/food/trends/pizza-hut-kale-large-purchaser-rcna23528

[quote] “Up until 2013, Pizza Hut was the largest buyer of kale in the U.S.,” he wrote. “They used it to decorate their salad bar.”

“It was actually used to cover up the ice that was used on the salad bar to keep everything cold," a spokesperson for Pizza Hut told TODAY. “It was a common practice back then.” According to the spokesperson, kale was used to make its meals more presentable. Back then, because the chain had not yet begun to use refrigerators to keep its salad bars fresh, ice was the way to go and kale was used to conceal it. [/quote]

Try scissors…

(Edith) #9

Look up recipes for southern style greens. Many use bacon or ham hocks. They are very tasty and you can replace the collard greens with kale.

@VirginiaEdie
THANK YOU! Wowzer, brilliant idea! This has revolutionised my food; this is a great way of consuming 200g of spinach quickly and with tons of flavour. :sunny:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

For what it’s worth, I’d kill to be able to get ahold of kale where I live to make a soup my sister makes that I adore. It’s got kale (yes, destemmed and chopped), ginger, tofu, peanut butter, and chicken stock. Will undoubtedly sound weird or horrible to some, but for anyone who loves Asian flavors, it’s the bomb!

(Kirk Wolak) #13

I would try wearing them… And yeah… WITHOUT the HWC! (LOL. Clearly Kidding)

– Spinach… I used to make a warm spinach salad.

In a HUGE pan, load the bottom with 1/8 - 1/4 inch of oil (I love coconut, bacon fat works).
I would slice garlic on a mandolin, paper thin, then slice a whole onion just a touch thicker.

Heat the oil, and put the garlic “chips” in there to cook, just as they start turning dark (long before burning). Throw the onions in, and cook them until they are soft, not brown… But not “strong” tasting onions.

remove from heat, the residual heat in the pain is enough. Fill the pan to the top with spinach. Stir it into the fat/onions/garlic chips. to SWEAT it down (it will shrink, but don’t go to soggy), keep adding more spinach as it shrinks, until the entire bag is in there.

I finish with Salt and Pepper… And then Fresh Lemon Zest.

This stuff is sooo good… You will eat it COLD as a leftover!

Loaded with fats. So much flavor. I give myself Kidney Stones just thinking about it!

For Broccoli/Cauliflower, trim the stems off, throw in a big metal bowl POUR some oil on top. TOSS to cover. Salt/Pepper. Bake on Parchment (important), until they brown. We love the slightly burnt broccoli. (you can see about adding Onion and Garlic Powder if that’s in your program).

For asparagus… Marinade in Oil and Lemon Juice, salt & pepper for like 1hr.
Plenty of liquid. GRILL them or broil them (and then put them back in the liquid).
They will rehydrate and capture even more flavor. OMG… Almost worth the migraines.

HTH

(Pete A) #14

1/2 cup frozen spinach, kale, or broccoli in a tablespoon of butter or ghee every day. In the microwave for a minute.