Spices?

I usually add garlic and onion powder when I’m cooking meat. Is a small amount of spices still considered as zero carb?

(matt ) #2

Both are about 6gr per Tablespoon. So depends on how much you add and how many servings are in the dish.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #3

I won’t speak to zero carb, since I’m not an expert in that. However, I did just look up the carb content of garlic and onion powder, and what I found has me reconsidering them.

Onion powder contains 5.4g of carbohydrate per Tbsp, 0.4 of which is fiber.

Garlic powder contains 6g of carbohydrate per Tbsp…don’t recall off the top of my head how much is fiber.

Those numbers suggest to me that their use should be minimized, regardless of whether we’re talking POK (plain old keto) or ZC.

I just do a quick shake of the container when I’m making steaks or something. But when I’ve made taco meat before it was quite a bit, so in that case I’m sure it would add up very quickly.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #5

I think for me, from now on, it’ll either be a pinch, or measured carefully (no more than a 1/2 tsp). Been having some stall issues lately, and I think it’s due to getting sloppy about stuff like this (probably several reasons, this being one).

(Genevieve Biggs) #6

Technically, ZC is not about the number of carbs, but rather zero plant foods because they can be a cause of inflammation. Onions and garlic, for example, are FODMAP foods that can be an irritant for many people. Strict ZC advocates would say to be careful with spices like onion/garlic and watch for signs of inflammation.

Why not just use the natural essence of the aromatic plants without consuming great quantities of it? For example, when I prepare a ribeye, I place it in a stainless steel pan with half inch of lard, and I add a peeled garlic and a small branch of rosemary or thyme (sometimes I omit the rosemary or thyme). Don’t slice or crush the garlic…leave it alone…you will notice it will blister and turn golden brown in the hot lard and it will scent the oil without coming apart. While the ribeye is frying in the lard, take a spoon and shower the steak with the liquid “gold” (ie lard with garlic). Your ribeye will get an even coating of garlicy fatty goodness. You can also do this same process with butter, or even better with clarified butter…or other fats like duck fat or tallow. Enjoy!!! :yum::yum::yum: