Spätzle testkitchen

(Jessica) #1

Since going keto I really miss one thing: Spätzle!
I’m from Swabia, Germany. So Spätzle are an essential part of every comfort food, at least for me.

I thought it wasn’t possible, since the only ingredients are usually flour, eggs, salt and water.
But in another thread, I read others have ketofied it. And I’ve seen some US ketoers are actually familiar with them too. Time for me to make Spätzle.

First off: I haven’t come across an acceptable keto version. So this really is about finding it.

These were my testversions, so far:

1. Almond flour + eggs (sorry, didn’t take pictures):
    No. When I put the dough through the press, it didn’t stay in shape once in the water.
    So I formed the rest of the dough into dumplings. Not Spätzle, but I still seared them in butter, and besides the almond flavour it was enjoyable.
    Moving on.

2. Mozzarella + egg yolk:
    Here is the setup, you heat up salt water. The press sits on top.

Then I made the dough like this recipe said:

I’m sorry, but this dough was far too tough. You can push it through the press, but you’d have to CUT them off. Nonono…

Well, they taste like pure cheese. :confused:

So, I know here are some really amazing cooks gathering.

Any ideas? Has anyone found a good recipe?

I’ll maybe try some pork rind dough, but for now I’m full :cheese:. No more testing until tomorrow.

(Richard Morris) #2

following cos I love Spätzle :slight_smile:

(Bacon for the Win) #3

Also following for the love of all things spaetzle.

Actually, I did figure out how to ketofy the spaetzle recipe…BUT…it was very laborious.

I used this wonderful video from a German oma (grandmother)…and as you can see, you need to hold the bowl over hot water and slice off each noodle. I succeeded making the batter from eggs, coconut flour and parmesan…

I was not able to use the same batter through the spaetzle sieve…it only worked as the bowl method, and because the process was sooooo laborious, I never posted the recipe and scrapped my pictures.

If anyone is willing to take the time to make it like the lovely German oma in the video, it is certainly possible to get spaetzle with egg-coconut flour - parmesan batter.

(Jessica) #5

Unfortunately I didn’t learn to scrape them. Both of my omas use the press :grin:.

But hey… if it’s working…

(Jessica) #6

Test no 3: Porkrind Spätzle

So far, the best I’ve tried.

I mixed 1 cup of very finely crushed porkrinds with 2 whole eggs, let that sit for maybe 5 minutes and the took it through the Spätzle press.

Certainly the proportions aren’t perfect yet. There are a little too many small bits in it, for my liking. Of course, they taste a little like pork (nothing overpowering, with gravy everythings fine).

So I’m going to make some more experiments. I really want to try the coconut version @Fiorella posted. But so far so good.

Wow…incredible. I didn’t think of pork rinds!

Nice! You are getting closer indeed!

(Jennifer) #8

I wonder if this recipe would work?

(Jessica) #9

Thanks I’ll test it.
*Edit: Just read the recipe, this is almost similar to the second test with the fettucine recipe. They still taste great and would be so perfect with maybe pesto or marinara sauce. But the cheesy dough was a little too different from what I’m (still) looking for.

Yesterday I made a variation of the pork rind Spätzle, that went so so wrong.
I added Mozzarella, another egg and because it was a thick consistency, I thought it would be a good idea to add a dash of water. It’s not! Things that don’t contain flour, don’t like water.

After all these tests inbetween my fasting days, my cravings for Spätzle aren’t huge right now. But I want to get this done and try some more at the weekend.
Then I’ll just freeze whatever comes out edible and make it a freezability test :blush:.