Spaghetti squash

(Cheyenne) #1

I was wondering if anyone else eats spaghetti squash. I use to eat it before I was keto and enjoyed it more than pasta. I know its higher carb but I usually only eat about 100g in a meal. I want to venture out from just marinara and alfredo sauce to keep things interesting.

(Heather Meyer) #2

how do you cook it? I once tried to microwwave it and ended up with spaggheti squash explosion

(Bob M) #3

I still eat it periodically, and I bake it. I can’t handle zucchini (or my stomach can’t), but I can handle spaghetti squash. If I’m looking for something “Italian”, though I just ignore the noodles/pasta, and make something similar with meat and red sauce.

(Amanda) #4

I eat it from time to time. I loved it pre-Keto. I just make sure that I keep the sauce as low-carb as possible, or no sauce just ground beef and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.

(Cheyenne) #5

Cut it in half and stand them up in a microwavable dish with an inch of water. Heat for 15 minutes with five minute intervals. I usually do one half at a time because I usually cant fit both halves in at once. If you Cook the whole thing you have to poke a bunch of holes in it and and set it on a plate. I believe it takes much longer to cook it that way, it’s been a while.

(Cheyenne) #6

I never cared for the zucchini because of its taste and texture. I’ve always preferred squash.

(Bob M) #7

I’ll give you an example. Yesterday, I made a spaghetti sauce with red sauce (store bought, Italian, lower carb), one pound pork sausage, one pound or so of ground beef/mince. Fried up some red onions I had in fridge in beef tallow, then browned sausage and ground beef, added sauce, heated through. Added some fresh-grated cheese and calamata olives. No need for pasta, or anything like pasta. (I usually don’t add onions, I happened to have these in the fridge.)

(Brian) #8

I’ve used it before but have a problem getting past it’s “sweet” taste. Oh, I love sweet things, but not generally savory things that taste sweet, too. For me, it’s too sweet for a spaghetti substitute. For pasta-like alternatives, I much prefer zoodles (zucchini). I don’t know what the difference is but I tend to tolerate the sweet taste of the spaghetti squash in a Mexican flavor profile better than the typical Italian red sauce type setting, don’t know why.

I have a similar problem with coconut flour. Love my wife’s coconut flour pancakes. But using the same batter without any sweetener at all, there’s a sweet taste that comes through in savory chicken n waffles. :confused: