Spaghetti Bolognese

(MooBoom) #1

KETO FRIENDLY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE (makes 10 portions)

INGREDIENTS
500g Pork and veal mince
1kg beef mince (regular, not lean)
150g streaky bacon, chopped into bite size pieces
140g finely diced brown onion
80g peeled and grated carrot
170g sliced mushrooms
30g chopped black olives
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
3 cloves garlic, grated
2 large red chillies, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
700g passata sauce (try to find one that is 4 or less grams of carb per 100g)
140g tomato paste
1 cup dry red wine
1tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp mixed herbs

METHOD
Prep your ingredients

In a large cooking pot (I used a 5L cast iron pot), heat the olive oil and sauté the onion on medium heat until translucent.

Add the bacon, and continue to sauté for 5 mins, until there is a little colour on the bacon and the fat has rendered.

Add the chillies, sauté for 1 min.

Turn the heat to high, add the mince and brown well. Add the garlic and dry spices when the mince is almost cooked through, then continue to cook off until the meat is well browned.

Add the mushrooms, carrot and olives. Stir through and cook for 3-5 mins (still stirring) until the veggies are just tender.

Add the red wine and red wine vinegar. Cook until alcohol evaporates off.

Add the tomato passata and tomato paste, stir well and leave to simmer, uncovered (occasionally stirring) until the sauce reduces and you’re left with a rick, thick Bolognese.

MACROS per serve:
Protein: 27.7g
Fat: 19.9g
Carbs: 5.5g (net)
Kcal: 341

Freezes beautifully. I portion 6 serves over the zucchini and konjac noodles, and freeze the remaining 4 portions for keto lasagna.

ZUCCHINI & KONJAC NOODLES (serves 6)

INGREDIENTS
2x packs Slendier Konjac noodles, spaghetti style (packs pre-drained are 400g each)
3 large zucchini (around 1kg)
1 stock cube (I like Massel beef stock cubes)

METHOD
Set a large pot of water to boil.
Add the stock cube once boiling.

Whilst the water is coming to the boil, strain and rinse the konjac noodles well. Set aside.

Using a mandolin (or veggie spiralizer), cut/spiralize your zucchini into zoodles.

Add the strained konjac noodles and zoodles to the boiling water, cook until zoodles are al dente (around 5 mins but depends on how you’ve cut or spiralized your zoodles).

Strain, portion into 6 serves.

MACROS
Protein: 1.9g
Fat: 0g
Carbs: 3.2g (net)
Kcal: 30

Don’t forget to add lashings of freshly grated parmesan cheese, and factor that into your macros for the day. I like to top the noodles with parmesan cheese, then ladle sauce over, then add more cheese.
Because why the hell not! :yum:

@MooBoom this looks so delicious!

Thank you for posting this, and for the detailed instructions.

I’m gonna be honest with you, I’m probably never going to make this, because, you know, “laziest of lazy keto.” I told Lisa the other day, “just give me 5 keto friendly meals, that are easy to make, and I’ll eat that the rest of my life.”

Yeah, that’s me. :slight_smile:

But just because I’m lazy, doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate people who take the time and effort to make wonderful meals like this.

(Bob M) #3

Are these red/bell peppers?

Is “passata sauce” = pasta sauce, like Rao’s?

https://www.raos.com/product/marinara-sauce/

(MooBoom) #4

Sorry for the Aussie lingo! I’m not sure what the American term is for what we call chillies, but I mean these guys:

And yes Rao’s sauce should do fine we don’t have great sauce options like that in Australia.

(MooBoom) #5

Thanks Darren! It means a lot that you are a simple keto man but still made the time to leave a lovely comment :blush: