Soy in eggs and dairy

(M) #1

say you have a soy allergy. which food would be more likely to give you problems - organic pasture raised egg fed corn and soy supplement, or kerrygold cheese that isn’t really completely grass fed or organic and cows might have a bit of gmo soy ?

I’d say first thing would be if the Soy allergy is really an allergy or not, so many people use allergy synonymously with intolerance that that’d be my first thing, but if it’s an eat some Soy, pull out the Epi-Pen type of a situation, I’d just be real anal about my sources, and make sure that they were certified as Soy free. Whether it’s GMO or Organic really doesn’t matter. The plus is cleaner eating especially with that dairy is so popular right now, most of the good brands really are. Plus, with Kerrygold getting busted a couple years ago, they all know they’re being watched (and tested).

From being (indirectly) in Agriculture, I do see with my own eyes though that the grass fed farms spends months baling grass and have an insane amount to get them through winters, so unless they’re just lying, I’d like to think most aren’t lying about it, a smaller operation couldn’t survive the hit if they lied and got caught.

Same as over here in NI.

The dairy/cattle farmers produce as much hay and sileage for the winter as possible during the year, and it hopefully is only the really harsh winters (and poor summer hay seasons) that they may be forced to buy animal feed (pellets). Gotta make hay while the sun shines over here…weather can be very changable even over 24 hours.

(M) #4

wha do you mean getting. busted? when it was revealed they weren’t 100 percent grass fed?

Couple years ago, Class action lawsuit against them. There was a bunch of back and forth over it on whether it was true or not, then it had something to do with misleading labeling IIRC, then last year they were sued again when they cheapened their wrappers and it was alleged they had “forever chemicals” in them. Never really followed that one.

(M) #6

yeah I saw the forever chemicals articles. They never put 100 percent grass-fed on their label though so I don’t know why they could be sued for not being 100 precent grass fed.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

The first thing I’d look for is any evidence to show whether the soy proteins make it into the flesh of the animal. I’m betting there isn’t any, for the following reasons:

I don’t know about chickens, but the foods that ruminants eat are digested by the bacteria in the rumen; they don’t digest the grasses directly. In fact, the ruminant lives on the amino acids and fat created by the bacteria. (This is why ruminants should not be fed grains; the bacteria don’t handle them well and produce a lot of methane.) There is another biological barrier between food after digestion and milk production.

More importantly, I’m not sure how any animal’s digestive tract would be able to tell the difference between lysine, say, cleaved from a soy protein and lysine from any other source. Lysine is lysine. Any amino acids the animal can’t make use of are either converted into other amino acids or else excreted.

I know I’m going slightly off on a tangent here, but this thread got me thinking about chickens’ digestion in general.

Amongst the various sites I visited, I found this simplified page.
I just thought I’d post it as I know there a lot of people on here that either keep chickens, or have expressed a desire to do so in the future.

The Digestive System of a Chicken (poultrykeeper.com)