Sous vide shrimp? What are your experiences

(Carol E. ) #1

Have you cooked shrimp using your sous vide? Tell us about it. I would be using frozen shrimp so I am also wondering if they would need to be thawed first.

I appreciate your personal insights!

Thank you

(bulkbiker) #2

Never done it but I can’t see why you would need to thaw unless you want to reduce the wetness quotient…

Check out the comments after the article…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

No need to thaw anything cooking sousvide. I highly recommend downloading the Joule app no matter what brand of sousvide pod you use. It has guides for timing of frozen or thawed meats.

I have never done shrimp though, they cook so fast without sousvide I have never bothered. But I have read some rave reviews on it. I never sousvide fish or other seafood. You have to do fish at a temperature that I consider unsafe for me. I’m on immune suppression drugs and worry about parasites, I feel much safer eating fish and seafood that has been frozen and don’t ever purchase fresh or farm raised for that and other reasons, and only eat fresh if it’s going to be thoroughly cooked, which kind of ruins fish for me usually. Freezing kills the parasite that is very common in salmon. Nothing worse than well done salmon! :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bob M) #4

I think that recipe is great. I used the sous vide to thaw the shrimp. (Just put in bag, plunge into cold water, add ice, set sous vide for 40 degrees or below, add ice to keep it there.)