Sous Vide New User Question

(Missy) #41

I love chucks so I’m all over that! Can’t wait!.

(Sophie) #42

My chuck roasts have either been ground at home or cooked in the crock pot or pressure cooker. I’m lookin forward to doing them sous vide for sure!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #43

Chucks are nice, but medium rare brisket is amazing.

(Missy) #44

You just can’t help but to keep rubbing it in!:wink:

And now…the Anova is no longer sitting in my cart and the Joule sits in its place. :no_mouth: I should have hit the GO button a long time ago. Now my cart is up an extra $100.:expressionless: Damn YouTube comparison videos!

BUYER BEWARE: Research is good but can be dangerous.

(Sophie) #45

I’d just say you appear to be trigger-shy! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #46

Both go on sale regularly.

Neither is really better.

Wait for a sale.

(Ruthann) #47

I have been reading about this and getting very interested. What are you using to vacuum seal your meats? Do you have to buy specialty bags and a vacuum sealing machine?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #48

90% of my cooks are in ziploc bags sealed with the Archimedes principle.

The other 10% are sealed in food saver bags.

(Brian) #49

Zip lock freezer bags are my go-to bags, either quart or gallon so far.

Now, if I can just figure out how to make sirloin tender… had one today, good flavor, but way too tough…

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #50

Temp is doneness.
Time is tenderness.

Go longer. 8hr min for sirloin.

(Sophie) #51

Makes sense, but 8hrs for a steak, seriously?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #52

The Sous vide everything morons say two hours for sirloin.

They’re not bad as YouTube guys go. But I’ve found that I like my non-steakhouse steaks (strip, filet, ribeye, porter/t-bone) to go a bit longer. Tritip, flank, skirt for 8.

But flat irons are good in 2.

You do a pinch test to see what you like. Take bag out of water, pinch meat. See if that’s how tender you want.

(Brian) #53

Thanks for the thoughts! Doneness was right where I like it, somewhere between medium rare and medium. I did it at 136 degrees, I think. But most of the online time n temp blurbs said 1.5 to 4 hours. I did about 2.5. Maybe 8 to 12 might be my next area to try just to see. Sirloin is a tough cut. (I’m still learning!) Will stretch it out to 18 to 24 hours if I have to.)

I’m a little odd, I like my meat tender enough that I have no need for a knife.

(Sophie) #54

I can tell this is going to be a humongo learning curve! I guess you could always plan on a long cooking time and if it seems ready at 4hrs take it out and chill it down, then reheat it closer to dinner time. :thinking:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #55

Preference is individual. Some folks like 2hr 1 inch sirloin. Some folks want them to go longer.

Reminds me, I have some wagyu sirloin in the freezer in need of some Sous Vide.

(Mike Glasbrener) #56

I purchased a vacuum sealer from Costco. Bulk meat at Costco is good enough for me and reasonably priced. So I buy meat there and chop it into smaller portions, vacuum seal them with seasoning, label them with a “paint pen” and toss them in the freezer. I then pull it out of the freezer and directly into the Sous vide when I cook it! Easy peasy! Fresh meat I use ziplock bags with the double zipper. I think they’re the heavier freezer bags.

(Jo) #57

Perfect timing I just got one for my birthday!! Corned beef and cabbage was excellent!! Great thread and thanks for heads up on garlic for i surely would have gone there eventually!

(Candy Lind) #58

I never put rock or sports stars on my wall in my youth, but I’m thinking about putting these two pics on my fridge! LOL

(Sophie) #59

My Anova is OUT for DELIVERY TODAY! :tada: :smile::clap::clap::clap:

(Ruthann) #60

Love to hear your reviews once you try it out!