Sous Vide from frozen?

(AnnaLeeThal) #1

I have a lot of cuts of meat in the freezer that are already vacuum sealed. Do I need to thaw before throwing them in the sous vide? For instance, I was going to do the beef tongue for quite a long time, so I assume that would be ok to put in still frozen.

(Guardian of the bacon) #2

I put my sirloin tip roast in frozen, came out wonderful.

(Guardian of the bacon) #3

I started to put in the oven to thaw on the “warm” cycle then thought…that’s really dumb and just threw it in the sous vide pot.

(Lisa F) #4

I read somewhere that if you start from frozen just leave it in half again as long as your cook time - so if one hour then leave it for an hour and a half. If two hours, then for 3, etc.

(Dustin Ewers) #5

Frozen is fine. If you have a Joule, it adjusts the time for you. Its probably also a non issue for long cooking times.

(AnnaLeeThal) #6

Thanks. I have an Anova, and I plan to cook this beef tongue for 36-42 hours. I put it in frozen last night.

This is so good to know in general because then I can prepare a bunch of frozen packs with seasonings. My downfall with preparing frozen meats is the thaw time.

(Dustin Ewers) #7

I got some Omaha steaks for Christmas. I literally took them out of the freezer and dropped them in the pot to sous vide. It only took a little over an hour. It couldn’t get much easier.

(Guardian of the bacon) #8

I’ll be anxious to hear the results. I’ve never had tongue. I’m pretty sure I have 1 or 2 in the freezer.

(AnnaLeeThal) #9

Tongue is excellent in tacos. One of my favorites, but I have never prepared it myself. Apparently you have to peel off the skin/taste buds after cooking. I’m sure that will be interesting

I also saw a recipe for pickled tongue which sounded very appealing! I may reserve some of the meat to pickle.

(Guardian of the bacon) #10

Do you pickle it after cooking I assume?

(AnnaLeeThal) #11

I assume so!