Sous Vide Egg Bites

sous-vide
cooking

(Jacob Wagner) #1

A certain well known coffee chain is selling sous vide egg bites. They are wonderful, but a little carby.

The bites seem to be cooked in some kind of mold after being scrambled. Does anyone know where I could get molds like that?

–Jacob

Someone in my FB group used this recipe but cooked them in ramekins in the oven in a water bath but this method with a poaching pan looks good.

(Jacob Wagner) #3

Thanks Daisy. I may try that. But, I would prefer something I can sous vide.

–Jacob

I played with this for awhile. I had some success with putting the mixture into mini muffin tins and then vacuum sealing and putting them in the sous vide. That’s a lot of work for what you get.

I had much better success using an egg poaching pan, it’s easier and the result was as good or better.

My guess is Starbucks had some sort of 2 part mold they use but I’m not really sure. I’d like to see how they make them.

pretty sure there is a recipe on here somewhere - try searching. @devhammer was it you who did well with these?

(Roxanne) #6

I sous vide them in 1/2 cup mason jars and they turned out well.

(Roxanne) #7

This is the method I used.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #8

Yes, and I used the recipe that @roxanne posted.

They’re yummy.

(Jacob Wagner) #9

Thanks, I just ordered some.

–Jacob

(Rob) #10

I’d like to start making egg bites with my sous vide. I’ve read a number of egg bite recipes for sous vide … most seem to use some variant of mason jars. A question I have that I haven’t seen an answer to is how many times can you re-use a mason jar … I’m guessing the lid seal may be the weak link?

I’ve seen the advice about not over tightening the lids. Any idea how many times you can re-use the jars before you start having leaks?

(Roxanne) #11

I don’t have a number, but quite a lot! While you might not want to reuse them rep steely for actual canning purposes, they will be fine for many souls vide purposes. And you can buy just the seals separately, they are quite inexpensive. I throw them out when they start looking tired, warped, or show signs of rust.

(Rob) #12

Thanks so much for the response! I’ve been developing kitchen skills for the first time in my life over the last year … and I’m amazed at how much I don’t know. I looked for a couple of days on this forum and then did a broadened google search for an answer. I read where they shouldn’t be re-used for canning, but I wasn’t sure what people’s actual experience was with sous vide and egg bites.

I was hoping the answer was “more than once” … I didn’t think that a hard and fast number would be realistic. I also appreciate the heads up on the seals!

(Roxanne) #13

I find the seals and the rings last longer if they are hand washed as well, they tend to rust faster in the dishwasher.