Sous Vide Cooking Times

Seeking some assistance with cooking times when using the sous vide method, please.

I am the proud new owner of an Anova Precision Cooker (yay me!) and successfully cooked the most gorgeous steak the other night. So thought I’d give corned beef (silverside) a go. The only problem is that I’m struggling to find information on the length of time to cook it for. There are a few tables and charts that I’ve come across that identify the temperatures required to cook different cuts of meat to your liking, however these charts aren’t clear about how long you need to set the cooking time.

I have a 7cm (at it thickest part) cut of meat. The only thing I found was the recommendation to cook it for 5 hours at 62 degrees (celsius)…does this sound right to those of you experienced with sous vide? For some reason I had it it my mind that it would need a lot longer than that.

I’ve spent the last 2 hours searching the Internet with little joy. If there are any good websites, cook books or YouTube channels, etc that you could recommend for information, I’d be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.

(bulkbiker) #2

Not exactly sure but I did a boneless lamb leg last week that was about that size and cooked it for 18 hours…did it slightly too hot but was still a bit pink then finished on the barbecue.

(bulkbiker) #3

then again just found this recipe for topside…(similar cut)

Much less cooking time… sorry not very helpful

Thanks - everything is helpful at this stage! :blush: I’ll give it a crack at 5 hours and see how it goes.

(Karen Fricke) #5

It doesn’t hurt to go longer, my husband has done a couple of things overnight and they turned out great. One benefit is it will never be too done.

Quick update - I ended up cooking the beef for 10 hours at 62C - delicious!! So flavoursome!!

(Guardian of the bacon) #7

I was just going to recommend longer than 5 hours to get nice and tender. Glad it worked out for you.