Sous vide container talk. Oh yeah

(Running from stupidity) #1

Types of containers, sizes, how well they work, and so on

(Jane) #2

I bought the 12-qt plastic tub and the hinged lid that has the opening that fits my Anova.

Waited until I was sure I would use it for cooking meat (DUH!) because I don’t need either one for my cheese making.

Glad I did! Worth it not to fiddle with plastic wrap and clothes pins to keep the water from evaporating on long cooks using an open roasting pan.

(Running from stupidity) #3

Nice work. Stuff like that is basically impossible to get down here.

(Running from stupidity) #4

Small container for cooking eggs. Really need a good container for this…

(Bob M) #5

For longer periods, I use my cooler where I used a hole saw to cut an opening for my Anova to go into. You use less heat this way. I also cut a disk of rigid foam to cover the hole, and we take the cooler with us (along with the Anova) on vacation. We can buy meat, put it in the cooler to cook, go out, come home, sear it up, dinner is served.

(Bob M) #6

Oh yeah, I also purchased a rack:

And my wife purchased stainless steel clothes pins (not sure what else to call them), which are useful to hold down meat in the rack or even at the sides of a plastic contained like the one shown above.

(Central Florida Bob ) #7

Can you translate 12 quarts to dimensions LxWxH? I have an idea how big a container I need (at least one has to be big enough to hold an 8 to 10 pound pork butt), but no idea how many quarts that represents.

(Mike W.) #8

Fun fact : the foam washer that you can buy to go between the tank and bowl of your toilet, is a perfect fit for the Anova!

(Sophie) #9

Ya know, I’ve thought about doing the Cooler Bash for my Anova but just haven’t gotten around to it. I have 2 stock pots and 1 canning pot that I’ve been cycling through and they seem to be able to handle everything that I need at the moment. For longer cooks I wrap plastic on the top and cover with a towel to keep everything nice and toasty over night.

(Brian) #10

We’ve had a cheapie stock pot that we rarely used for anything that I use for the sous vide. The sous vide just clips to the side of the pot. Most of the time, I use a clothes pin to hold the bag on the opposite side so that it stays put, probably wouldn’t need it. For long cooks, I usually cover the top with a piece of plastic wrap just to help with evaporation.

Really, I don’t get too excited about it. Simple seems to work pretty well. :slight_smile:

(Jane) #11

10.6 x 10.8 x 7.8”

Then you need to allow room for the Anova itself. The hinged lid with the cutout for the Anove is sold separately.

(Central Florida Bob ) #12

Thanks. I found them on Amazon and I’m in the process of figuring what to get. I have two big metal pots; one with tall, small diameter and the other shorter with wider diameter.

What had slipped my mind is that I fill the pot to between the min and max lines, and if I put something big in the pot, it overflows.

I should take a tape measure, take a frozen pork butt out of the freezer and see if either pot works.

(Running from stupidity) #13

Prototyping a bit of structural integrity reinforcement :slight_smile:

(Central Florida Bob ) #14

Juice, is that foamcore - the stuff that’s a thin layer of cardboard on either side of foam?

Wonder if solid plastic, like a Lego brick would do?

(Running from stupidity) #15

It’s corflute, which is basically corrugated plastic. I wanted something to spread the load down the thin plastic side of the container, and had some of this from when I was hot-glueing all sorts of stuff to the bottom of my desk to keep it out of the way and hidden :slight_smile: I don’t think lego would spread the load enough.

Seems to be working pretty well, might just glue it up as is :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #16

When you start getting into 24 hour to multiple day cooking, I think a pot or plastic is insufficient, if you want to keep heat in. I did a 145F for 24 hours yesterday in plastic, with a cover, and the heat loss was tremendous. If you don’t care, it’s not a big deal. Our electricity is quite expensive (20 cents/KWHr), and I’d rather keep heat in.

Also, for our cooler, we made a plug for it, so we take it with us on vacation, along with the Anova. The cooler then serves two purposes.

(Running from stupidity) #17

Yeah, this one is for eggs and so on. The tank-type behind it is for the longer stuff.

(Central Florida Bob ) #18

OK, I know that stuff. I’ve got some of that lying around in my shop from an enclosure I built. I don’t have Lego bricks at home, but the plastic they’re made of is super strong and I think of using that for stuff.