Sous vide circulators/water bath devices

(Running from stupidity) #1

Good, bad, indifferent. Discuss here.

(Brennan) #2

Just got this for xmas. Don’t have anything to compare it to (my first circulator). It’s simple to operate, not WiFi or smart but it works and I love it!

Would definately recommend.

(mole person) #3

Does anyone have the one that’s made by instantpot? It’s the only one sold nearby but if it’s not great I’ll just order something else online.

(Running from stupidity) #4

Honestly, I said when I initially got the Anova that the WFI/BT was going to be a gimmick for me and so it is. My tank-type is just as easy to use without those things.

OTOH, for some people it makes accessing the device easier, so that’s a plus.

Mine has the WIFI & I’ve yet to bother with it - can’t imagine I will either. I only bought that one because it was on sale :slightly_smiling_face:

(Brennan) #6

If I had bought my own I think I would have gone for one with the wifi (in very much a gadget guy). I like the idea of being able to start it remotely. Set it up in the morning before work and the turn it on in the afternoon from the office so it’s ready for after work. But with most dishes you can just start it in the morning and leave it all day anyway.

I’m very much a bit of a Luddite :laughing: I’m also not sure I can leave my cat alone with a thing that has lights & makes beeping noises!

(Brennan) #8

There’s a bunch of reviews for the instant pot sous vide on YouTube.

(Brennan) #9

My cat seems to ignore the sous vide. I’m looking to make a cooler into a sous vide tank with a lid. Should be more energy efficient that way and cat proof too!

(Running from stupidity) #10

Me too, but as you say, it’s pretty pointless :slight_smile:

Yeah, it makes a HUGE difference.

I did spot someone had done that cooler thing. We can’t get the lidded containers here in the southern colonies but eskys we’ve got so I was thinking of giving that a go :thinking:

(Doug) #12

This appeals to me but I’ve not even looked at doing that yet. I’ve (hopefully) only got a couple more years of working left, so am envisaging being home mostly anyway.

The 900 watt Anova was a great buy at $99 U.S., and I’d advise watching Amazon to track prices, which vary massively. No struggle to heat an 18 liter water container - I’d say the 800 watt one, which is usually cheaper, would be fine for almost everybody.

(Running from stupidity) #13

Yeah, totally. The more expensive one is a bit more flexible with mounting, but that’s about it.

(Steve) #14

Actually the bluetooth one and the bluetooth/wifi Anova’s are identical in form factor - the only difference is that the one has the wifi radio and a slightly more powerful heating element.

The Nano is smaller and has a fixed clamp on it (makes it a little more problematic for creating a nice sealed vessel with a hole saw).

(Steve) #15

I’m going to try to get the Coleman 24 and 48-can party stackers from Walmart when they go on sale. The lids are interchangeable, so you could cut a hole in one of them, keep the other for using the cooler as a cooler - that way you have different volume vessels for larger cooks. :slight_smile:

(Running from stupidity) #16

Down here, you can buy either the Nano or the WIFI/BT. They’re the only two options.

(Steve) #17

Hmm. Well, that’s new. They used to sell the BT model in Aus. (I know as a lot of the Aussie’s in the Anova forums have it). You’d think they would actually be cheaper in Aus (as they’re made in China) - shipping should be less.

(Running from stupidity) #18

The Australia Tax (very small market for everything (only 24 million people, and a huge area to cover as well), so everything costs a fair bit more) takes care of that and then some.