Sous Vide Brisket - This Is Why I'm Here

(Central Florida Bob ) #1

I got my Anova Nano back at Christmas to merge sous vide and barbecue. Someone here in a barbecue thread (sorry, I forget whom) mentioned a medium rare brisket; sous vide at 135 for a long time (48 hours or more) then finish in the smoker.

My local place didn’t have a full packer brisket (again), so I got what they had - a flat.

I basically followed this recipe:

It has two approaches: the first is that 135 for a long time - up to 72 hours. They say that gives a more “steak like” texture. 155 for 24-36 hours is more like the traditional Texas barbecue texture, which is what I was after. So I did a sous vide cook @ 155 for 36 hours, then rubbed it again and smoked for 4 hours in my electric smoker. (Masterbuilt - these are just called ‘Masterbuilt Electric Smoker’ or MES in some of the barbecue forums) I used about 3/4 pecan wood and 1/4 hickory, but that was because I was lower on hickory than I thought. I would have gone half of each if I had more hickory.

The second rub (after pulling the bags from the hot water and soaking in ice water) looks granular in the picture, rather than a nice bark. I need to figure out how to make the bark come out better.

As for the brisket itself, awesome results! Falls apart easily, excellent texture.

(Doug) #2

Beautiful post all the way through, Bob! Happy Birthday!

A good slab of brisket is hard to beat.

(Central Florida Bob ) #3

Thanks, Doug! Today I’m 65.

My wife, who seems to love my barbecue efforts more than I do, thought an All You Can Eat day would be a good thing. Somewhere in the day there’s a slice of (keto) cheesecake waiting for me.

(Carl Keller) #4

Forget the cheesecake and just put some candles in the brisket. :smiley:

Happy birthday Bob.