Sous vide beef heart and other recipes

(Bob M) #1

I’ve been buying beef heart from the local farm. I used to use this recipe, which I thought was quite good:

I then started cutting off the fat and the fibrous materials and sous vided (a word?) at steak temps (132 or so) for a while, seared, and ate. This was like a steak.

My latest trial was taking frozen beef heart (I get them frozen and already cut in half), putting it into a vacuum bag (frozen) with salt (the fat was still on it, and I did no preparation to it whatsoever), sealing the bag, and sous vide-ing (is that a word?) at 140 F for about 24 hours. I plunged into ice water, then cut into strips.

I thought this was great. The fat turned completely edible, and the meat was still steak-like.

If you like beef heart, this is one more option for you.

I may have to try this one next:

Spiralized zucchini and I don’t get along, unfortunately, so I’ll have to have this maybe by itself or maybe with riced cauliflower.

Stop telling people about beef heart. Once people learn about it its just going to drive the price up!

(Bob M) #3

True! Beef heart is the cheapest cut of meat for me, as is liver, both of which I like.