Something is wrong with my body, what can I do?

(Nicole Silvia) #1

Been on keto almost 4 weeks. Past 2 days my stomach is cramping, diarrhea a little, I feel very tired and for almost the whole time I’ve been I’m keto, my legs feel like they are holding onto lactic acid and burn easy going up stairs.

What’s up here and what can I do? Don’t want to quit

(Nicole Silvia) #2

I forgot to mention burping and nausea… this seems to be happening after introducing coconut oil into my diet. Not sure if it’s related. I feel cappy :frowning:

(Allie) #3

Stop the coconut oil and see what happens. It’s very early days and adaptation takes time. Make sure you’re getting enough salt.

(Nicole Silvia) #4

Ok. I do stay hydrated well and take in salt. Hope this diet really is all it’s promised! I feel like I got fattier instead of leaner too.

(Nathan Toben) #5

https://www.ebay.com/p/Succeed-S-Caps-100-Capsules-689075279032/1701776900?iid=323330486716&chn=ps&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F711-117182-37290-0%2F2%3Fmpre%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fp%252FSucceed-S-Caps-100-Capsules-689075279032%252F1701776900%253Fiid%253D323330486716%2526chn%253Dps%26itemid%3D323330486716%26targetid%3D478313878735%26device%3Dm%26adtype%3Dpla%26googleloc%3D9009666%26poi%3D%26campaignid%3D1489355913%26adgroupid%3D61597998910%26rlsatarget%3Dpla-478313878735%26abcId%3D1139316%26merchantid%3D6296724%26gclid%3DCjwKCAjw_b3cBRByEiwAdG8Wqj0FuOk0OXNKw9xTfgeaR9Vqr8Jsm_GesXHqS-UzPSM5keUjybzoBhoCqpwQAvD_BwE%26srcrot%3D711-117182-37290-0%26rvr_id%3D1657104651342%26rvr_ts%3Daa26b80d1650ab604ee4cd07ffff48e6

i’ve found that salt is not enough and this makes nailing down electrolytes very easy, if you are willing to cough up the cash. adding a couple/few of these throughout my day has resolved a number of stomach cramping, bloating, diarhea issues and i wish i had known bout them earlier.

(Allie) #6

Save your money and just make this.

(Edith) #7

I had the runs for many months when I first started keto. My body just couldn’t handle the fat. You may need to decrease fat and increase protein for a bit until your digestive tract adapts.

(Nicole Silvia) #8

So, you think this is a hydration issue? I had been taking some BCAA electrolyte powder before this happened. I actually do feel terrible today. Like I need to go home and sleep, but I can’t.

What can I do right now? Just take some electrolytes?

(donna broussard) #9

Dr. Fung says some people (especially diabetics) sometimes don’t start producing ketones right away - and they drag and feel awful. He suggests that supplementing with exogenous ketones to carry you through until your body adapts (not long term but just until your body adjusts which can take 2-4 weeks). I just asked a question about that - and which BHB supplement would be best - in this forum. Still waiting on the answer.

(Nicole Silvia) #10

That can’t be it though. I’ve been producing plenty of ketones throughout these few weeks.I use urine strips and had my blood checked once.

I’m also not even close to diabetic. My only health issue is asthma.

(Allie) #11

Your body is adapting and this is a process that takes time. It’s not an instant fix.

BCAA’s as you mentioned previously are not likely to be helpful as you’re adapting, best to stick with plain electrolytes.

(Daniel DiDonato) #12

If you can afford it, see your Dr, there may be something else going on here. Just be careful about what he says about the diet, in reallity, he knows little to nothing about nutrition
I would also suggest, increasing your card intake, with healthy carbs. Eating is not a one size fits all, you’ll have to experiment, and find what work s best for you.ß

(LeeAnn Brooks) #13

Couple of things:

1. yes, it sounds like your electrolytes are off. You mention your ketones have been good. Something I found out is that if you tend to produce a lot of excess ketones, you also deplete your electrolytes faster.
  2. even getting your electrolytes stable may not take away the tired feeling. When you first go Keto, you deplete glycogen stores. That’s what your body’s used for fuel. You’re making ketones, but it takes a while for your body to learn to use them efficiently for fuel. So there’s often a period where people experience high levels of exhaustion and heaviness. You could add in more carbs to offset this, but it will end up taking longer to adapt. If it’s bearable, I’d just push through and get this phase over as quick as possible. For me it was between weeks 4 and 5 that I started to feel some improvement, but I wasn’t fully back until around week 7 or 8. By week 9 my energy was noticeably better than pre-Keto.

(Michelle) #14

I agree with this. My experience - I actually exercised through my keto flu symptoms and it depleted my glycogen quicker, getting me through that ugly heavy-feeling phase quicker.

(Nicole Silvia) #15

I didn’t mention that I am also towards the end of my menstral cycle.

So, I was in a bad way yesterday. My #2 smelled like bile or stomach acid, something crazy. I thought I was going on faint 2 or 3 times at work and there were even a couple scary moments where my brain wouldn’t function right.

I got some electrolytes and eventually I ate up a bunch of carbs. I went home, ate more carbs, took some vitamins, drank some bone broth and my intention was to lay in bed and read or listen to an audio book, but I was too drained and I fell asleep around 6. I slept until this morning. My stomach, burping, digestive stuff feels a lot better, pretty normal, but I’m still very weak and foggy. Slight headache too.

My son confessed he’s had similar issues for the past 2 weeks! (Because I asked) so it is probably viral, but in conjuction with trying to fat adapt and menstruating, it was probably too much.

I’m back on keto today because I honestly have to desire to eat differently (trying to listen to my body) but I think I needed the extra “old familiar energy source” to help a little.

I’ll keep you posted

(Brian) #16

Colds, viruses, intestinal distresses, various things like that, do happen, keto or not.

Hope you feel better soon!

(Nicole Silvia) #17

I do feel significantly better today. Thanks for the support! And I will get some of those tabs Nathan, thanks for the link.

(Nicole Silvia) #18

Just an update… I kept feeling better. Stomach bothered me mid day a little, but went away again. I just tested my ketones (urine) and I’m already back into ketosis. I’m actually very surprised by that, I ate about 120 or more g of carbs before sleeping yesterday. Does this mean anything? Guess it didn’t slow me down too much?