Some Newbie Advice

(Tom Sandkamp) #1

Started Keto Jan 30,2019.Went to Hawaii blew it with drinks for a week.Strict since Feb 15th.Took 7 days to read 1.3 ketones and have dropped 10.5 lbs.Glucose from 4.7 - 5.9. I Crossfit 3 x per week, drink the ketone supplement and over the last 2 days up 2 lbs while showing 2.3 - 2.4 ketones.Yesterday I ate breakfast, sausage and eggs with coffee. Then gym and was starved at 11pm and ate some steak and cheese with a Keto 4 net carb donut.I seem to look thinner, feel better but odd I could gain with limited calories and vigorous exercise. Guess I’ll pump up water and :leafy_green: greens.Good thing is my drug addiction to sugar is at bay for the first time in my 50 yrs on this planet :sunglasses:, not even tempted, which is a miracle

(less is more, more or less) #2

Tom, glad to read you’re seeing positive results.

Unnecessary.

Better. Everything you need is at your local grocery market. Avoid the processed foods, and, basically, the middle section.

Fats, meats oil, along the periphery, that’s the good stuff. Well, I guess the oils are in the middle section, but you get the idea.

I maintain an active workout regimen, but working out is a distant second in importance to what you eat. In fact, you may benefit from reducing the vigorousness of your workout until you become fat-adapted.

I do my best to avoid any food that includes “Keto” in the label. I also count total, not net carbs and I stay below 20 grams a day (usually, maybe up to 10 grams over, max)

Check this page out for the essentials:

(mole person) #3

If you’re drinking a ketone supplement they will render your ketone measurements completely valueless. All you’re doing is measuring ketones that you are drinking rather then those that your body is making as a byproduct of breaking down your fat. You can absolutely gain weight while showing great ketones if you are drinking them.

Also, @Screenack is right, if you are going to eat things like keto donuts you should probably count total carbs for those items.

(Tom Sandkamp) #4

Thank you llana😎.But a few questions…So there is soooo much Keto info out there it gets confusing.So the BHP drink that is supposed to help you stay in ketosis is a scam? So I reached 1.5 ketones in about 9 days, then shot up to 2.4 after a workout, and then 2.3 on another morning.The only changes were to times eating. I just added liquid greens as I am kind of getting tired of broccoli and asparagus.I do eat kimchi and sauerkraut.But overall, I don’t crave sugar or crap, so I’m super happy about that

Welcome Tom,

@Screenack and @Ilana_Rose have already answered but yes those keto drinks are not required. (Maybe as a supplement for extreme athletes or soldiers or ?)

Just limit your intake of sugar, bread, rice, pasta, potatoes… swap them for veggies. Then your body will have no choice but to burn its own stored excess fat.

Not just broccoli, there are many choices. See dietdoctor.com they have nice food pictures. Keto should open doors to more food than SAD not less

(mole person) #6

Yes. If that’s how it’s being marketed, as a aid to entering ketosis, then it’s a scam. Further, they render your ketone measurements completely useless since when you ingest exogenous ketones your ketone measurements are no longer a function of your fat burning and so tell you nothing.