So now what?

newbies

OK , I started Keto about April 6 . I had a few bumpy weeks in the beginning . Keto flu / urine test strips etc. I have kind of hit a groove and feel pretty good. I am down from 356 to 326 lbs. The last couple of weeks have kind of stalled out for me weight loss wise . Is this typical ?
Any suggestions to budge ?
Welcome all and any suggestions, I have a long way to go.
I am trying to widen my keto recipe culinary base and welcome any recommendations websites etc.
I was also wondering if there are any good APPS for tracking Keto Macros.
I hate googling everything in the market .

(Robert C) #2

According to Dr. Fung - stalls seem to be best handled by some amount of fasting. Have you considered ADF for 30 days? Just to see the progress?

uhhh ok waht is adf fasting?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

Alternate day fasting

(Rob) #5

ADF is alternate day fasting… usually about 36hrs so you might eat dinner and eat nothing the next day until breakfast on the day after, or stop after breakfast and break the following day’s dinner.

If you haven’t already found it, there is an acronym wiki on the site or use the search bar to find out immediately the answer to questions like this.

(Kieny Poppen) #6

You can find loads of info and recipes on dietdoctor.com.

I ahve to say that overall , I am eting less, I am just not as hungry with a higher fat diet. I think I could pretty easily go 24 hours as a fast. i am not sure about 36. And is a fast+ eating nothing a drinking nothing but water?
Is a fast liquids only ? bone broth etc. Does a fast include a fat cofee.?
If it is any of the last two I could probably swing it .

Before you decide you’ve stalled, start taking measurements. I’ve gone well without losing weight, but still getting smaller. Your body is doing a lot of stuff right now, even when it doesn’t seem like it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

It is possible to add lean mass while reducing one’s fat store. This is particularly likely, it seems, for women who have restricted their caloric intake for a long period. Eating a well-formulated ketogenic diet gives the body enough energy to heal and build needed tissue, which can result in confusing reports from the scale.

I decided early on that even if my fat loss is accompanied by more weight in the form of muscle, I would accept that in favor of a drop in the weight reported by my scale. I realized that I was considering weight loss to be the same thing as fat loss, and when I thought about it, I realized I wanted to gain stronger, better-developed muscles just as much as I wanted to lose excess fat, so to heck with my scale weight. I decided that I could settle for better muscles and a smaller waist size, regardless of my poundage.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #10

If only we could measure mass instead of weight.

(Robert C) #11

Dexa scan might be something to look into.

sorry for my ignorance but what is dexa scan?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

DXA stands for dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry. It’s a type of scan that reveals body composition.