So not sure if this is normal...still new

(Stephanie) #1

2 months in to keto. 20 lbs down. I’m quite exited since everything else seemed to be failing.

I either eat breakfast at 9am or 10am, then nothing till 2pm, and then dinner at 5pm or 6pm depending when I start eating.

I’ve got a routine going with it, went through keto flu. Then I start not feeling hungry at 2pm snack time and not as hungry for dinner. I still eat the same amout and then 9pm when bedtime is I’m starving like I ate nothing all day even though I’m not starving myself.

I still eat under or no more than 20 carbs a day. I don’t skip snacks or dinner when I don’t feel hungry.

Any thoughts??

(Susan) #2

Welcome to the forum, Stephanie=).

I eat TMAD (two meals a day) at 1pm and 4:45pm so I do 20 hours of not eating a day (from 5pm until 1pm the next day). This is s 20:4 IF.

If you make an account on cromometer.com it is FREE -you can type in all your pertinent info like your age/weight/height/gender and then it will tell you what your macros (calories, fats, proteins and carb) allowances are. When you start typing in all the foods you eat, including tea, coffee, everything on there, you will get a good idea what you might be missing, or eating too much of, and adjust it accordingly.

If you are still feeling hungry on Keto, then you are probably not eating enough protein, or not enough fats, or not enough calories, considering you said you are doing the recommended 20 carbs or less a day.

I think if you meet your macros and eat enough, that you will stop feeling hungry very soon. It is also important to drink enough water,and make sure that you are ingesting enough SALT.

This is an easy recipe to make that too =).

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

Drink a big glass of water and see if it goes away. Make sure you’re keeping up on salt intake. 2-3 teaspoons per day. Learn to know the difference between real hunger and a rumbling stomach. Real hunger is accompanied by an energy run down. A rumbling stomach is normal without food in there . Try the water and salt trick . If it doesn’t work eat more at your meals It isn’t real hunger if you’re eating well. It’s a habit of regular snacking that triggers it.

(Stephanie) #4

I pretty much fill up on water before 9/10am. And then again 10am till 2pm and 2pm till 5/6pm. Thats all I drink. I found that magesium citrate but it says its a laxative. I’m not sure if I want to poop 24/7. Ive started adding way more salt to my food. And that helped get through the flu. Like 24 hours later ive felt better.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

@Sdemarco820 It doesn’t work as a laxative in smaller doses.

(Susan) #6

@Sdemarco820

I agree with David, I take 2 at 1pm and 1 in the evening before bed; it keeps me regular but just normal =).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Are you eating enough at meals? Are you eating enough fat? Are you eating by the clock?

We advise eating to satiety; i.e., not eating till hungry and stopping eating when satisfied. This works well for most people. If you feel the need to snack between meals, eat a fatty snack, and then eat a bit more at the next meal. The body will eventually sorty itself out. If you’re pre-menopausal, note that your cycle is going to affect your appetite. Nothing wrong with just riding with it.

The advantage to eating to satiety is that it eliminates the need to calculate macros (other than to keep carbohydrate under the limit) or calories. Since a ketogenic diet is very low in carbohydrate and moderate in protein, that leaves only fat as a source of calories, which feels counter-intuitive to people born since the dietary guidelines were first promulgated. But fat actually has a negligible effect on your insulin secretion, so it is actually the safest source of energy for our bodies. In a low-carbohydrate setting, it’s not going to get trapped in our fat tissue, and it will satisfy our appetite enough for our body to use some of its excess stored fat for fuel.

I think the real answer to your question is that your body hasn’t completely sorted itself out yet. Give it plenty of resources (food), and it soon will. If you find you must snack, make sure that you munch on something low-carb and high fat.

But you must be doing something right already, because losing 20 lbs. of fat in two months is pretty impressive.

P.S.—Don’t try to fast until it starts happening naturally. For now, eat!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #8

In large doses, yes. I’ve taken 1tbsp 2x a day, spread out in my KetoAide, with no issues. Now, drinking the whole bottle will give you massive runs! I don’t recommend it (unless you’re doctor tells you to).

(PSackmann) #9

One of the beauties of this WoE is the reduction in insulin production by extending the time between meals. It’s great that there are days you don’t eat at 2, the next might be to move breakfast to an early lunch, eat a bit more then, and skip the 2:00. That will also allow you to eat more at dinner, which will help with the 9pm hunger.

(Marianne) #10

I agree with the above.

In the beginning you need to eat enough, and of the right foods. Like @PaulL said, when you are ready, your body will let you know when it doesn’t need you to eat as much or as often.