So, kale.... oooops

Yeah, I just downed like three cups of crispy baked kale because I didn’t look ahead of time, and figure it was like lettuce, you know, eat as much as you want kind-of. I’ve already had 18-ish carbs today. Did I just screw myself out of ketosis with that crunchy, chewy, olive oil soaked deliciousness? I"m guessing I had another 15 carbs worth of kale., so over 30 carbs today. My macros say no more than 20.

Should I fast for… a week? :wink: Kidding. But really, should I just fast and hope for the best?

Don’t worry about it, that’s nothing. Just continue as normal.

Ok, cool. First time in 2 months that I’ve been over 20. Wasn’t sure what to expect.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #4

You can fast if you were already going to fast, but you don’t have to do anything besides learn your lesson and enjoy the time ahead of you. No biggie! At least you didn’t accidentally eat a bunch of cake.

Ahhhh, cake. I miss cake.

I’m 5 pounds from my goal weight. Don’t want to screw it up. eeek!

(Justin S) #6

Also, if you at all follow Dr. Berg, not sure of his reputation on this forum, he states over and over that the majority of keto folks don’t need to count leafy green carbs. A select few might get kicked out of ketosis by them, but most won’t. And man, crispy kale is SO GOOD!

My servings of kale are often an entire bag of frozen kale, which is at least 6 servings. Probably close to a cup each. I’ve never had a problem with it, even on top of a higher carb day, with things like macadamias, pecans, olives, guac, and even hummus.

Regardless, kale is healthy even if it does kick you out of ketosis, so just be mindful and have a lower carb next day if you’re worried. Rhythm Superfoods has amazing kale chips I found at Costco, so try them if you’re having portion control issues too. 1g net carb per pack.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #7

I had cake a birthday party a few weeks ago and was so very disappointed at how much I didn’t like it and wanted to scrape my tongue afterward. It’s like I could taste some weird chemical.

:anguished::anguished::anguished:

(Natalie) #9

its fine, kale is super low in the gi and does contain fiber so it isnt just pure carbs(but be careful kale can add up), I would say if you want you can do 16-20 hour fasts(interment fasting) but you dont have do that.As doing something like that every time you overdo it a little bit on carbs can create a problem where you feel like your punishing yourself, which would most likely cause you to be in distress raising cortisol and creating an unhealthy relationship with fasting.(and lol Im not saying your gonna end up there but just warning ya it can get to a point where you fast and fast as a way of punishing yourself) plus prolonged fasting for a long period of time can cause over eating and leptin resistance in some people. Hope this helps!

(Jill F.) #10

I dont know about everyone else, but I did not get all of these curves from eating kale, lol! KCKO

LOL! Me either. But seriously, baked kale with olive oil and sea salt is SO DANG GOOD!

(Edith) #12

What’s your recipe?

(Natalie) #13

Ikr! Its like fasting or keto some how fixes our taste buds when I had my cheat day on my birthday everything tasted kinda gross or just ok which is weird, becuase I has hyping this food to be soo amazing when it was just ok or overly sweet. I found out carby foods are just ok tasting and to be honest just eh no big deal.(Ok I will have to say the only thing worth it was the icecream i had lol)

(Natalie) #14

Girl now you got me craving kale chips XD

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, three cups of cooked kale contains 18.76 total grams of carbohydrate, of which 14.2 g is indigestible fiber, so a net of 4.56 g of digestible carbohydrate. You didn’t do as bad as you think.

(Natalie) #16

oh wow I thought kale was higher in carbs lol

Oh, yay! Thank you. Every reference I could find was higher. I figured there had to be fiber!

I also can’t stand sweet foods, like real sugar food, anymore. We were recently at Disney and I had 1/2 cup of sugar free ice cream and I could barely stomach it. I think our palates do change once we kick the sugar habit.

(Scott) #18

You’re still under 40. Even if it does kick you from ketosis, it would be for an extremely short time I would imagine. I wouldn’t worry about it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

Leafy greens are mostly water and fiber, which is why they are recommended for a ketogenic diet. You can eat quite a bit without consequences.

Might check out this thread.

My wife and I decided we’re just going to have birthday steak.