So hungry/dizzy/hangry

(Bob M) #61

You might consider stopping it then. That’s just a harangue for no reason.

Regardless of what you’ve heard, you can eat as much protein as you want. So, your dad can eat protein if he wants it. I commonly eat 120-160 grams of protein in one meal (shrimp, mussels, canned fish are one meal for that amount of protein).

(John) #62

There may be some genetic differences that make some people unable to eat a ketogenic diet.

Perhaps you’d do better on the Mediterranean or Dash diet. Since you sound utterly miserable doing this, just don’t do it.

*Note - I’m not trying to be a jerk. I think there truly are some people who do better on a more traditional low-fat diet, with higher carbs, as long as the focus is still on eating healthy, real foods, and the carbs and fats consumed are the healthier kind. You may be one of those people. Try other things to see what works best for you.

(Edith) #63

Could your symptoms be carb/sugar withdrawal?

(Tamara Bell) #64

Bob, wow, I cannot imagine eating that much protein! Last night that pork chop says it was around 34g of protein and it was simply too much for me and left me frustrated and feeling kind of icky. I guess I wasn’t as clear (hard for me today as nothing now is making sense, trying to read emails at my new job and its all gibberish lol) My Mom and Dad have done Atkins. Mom said it was super easy, no hunger, no cravings. Dad on the other hand, going into it said it was hard, and he always slid back out of it the moment he could simply because he was miserable.
So now moving forward, hubby and me. Hubby has no problem giving up carbs, barely has hunger pangs. He says, sure he’d like a bowl of ice cream or something but it isn’t too bad. Me on the other hand, I find myself getting angry, annoyed, and moving more and more to a “well fine I won’t eat anything” mode because none of the food in front of me actually looks like something I would like to put in my mouth. Case in point, I have my carb free lunch of salad, chicken, celery sticks with cream cheese and sausage soup and I grabbed my raspberries and just ate those instead. I don’t know if I’ll eat my lunch later. I’m hungry, but it just does not look at all appetizing to me.

I have read there is a correlation between keto and cortisol levels increasing. It makes me wonder if there is something there??

I do actually track my food continuously by the way. Yesterday I had 58 of 95g of carbs allowed on the app, 27g fiber, 101g of fat, 96g of protein, 1562 calories. By dinner time that was when I actually added a lot of the carbs because my stomach was getting increasingly angry at me, indigestion, heartburn, burping up food, so I finally had a ginger ale and a handful of small pretzels. Calmed right back down so I could actually eat dinner.

(Tamara Bell) #65

Oddly enough John, I love DASH diet. Hubby hates it and doesn’t do well on it. I love eating lots and lots of veggies, fruits, a bit of grains, and small portions of meat. (Like just a taste or two)

(John) #66

I can’t find the article, but I recall reading a pretty good write-up about the different combinations of APOE genes, and how some do better on low-carb, and others do better on low-fat.

I have a long way to go before I get close to a maintenance weight, but when I get there I plan to try to adjust my eating pattern along the spectrum towards Mediterranean. Ideally by then I will have ironed out any issues with insulin resistance and the occasional helping of brown rice won’t kill me. I’ll let you know in a year or two how that works out.

(Tamara Bell) #67

Actually I have done awesome in the past on low fat, with a treat every so often with greek yogurt and fruit, lots of veggies and fruits, about a half a cup of a grain, (used to stay away some from the bleached ones and gravitate towards whole grains) and a smallish sized amount of meat. I used to say, kind of how the Japanese eat, with meat being there just for flavoring, not as the main dish. I always seem to do that diet/lifestyle when hubby is gone for a while. When he comes back then all the junk food, ice cream, pizza and convenience foods come back with him. To him, last nights pork chops were wonderful and he said he was full afterwards. Not me and that pork chop was HUGE.
Several years ago, I gained pretty much what I weigh now, and went DASH all the way. 3 months later I had dropped around 20lbs. A year and a half after that, I had lost a total of 50lbs.

(Tamara Bell) #68

That I don’t know Virginia. Last time I was much more strict and on day 5 I was in more agony than I am right now (this time I figured I would ease into it because of the stomach pain, headaches that I encountered last time)

(John) #69

Sounds to me like you and your husband just need to eat different foods. If he is doing a ketogenic diet, that should remove all of the “junk food, ice cream, pizza, and convenience foods” from his food list.

My wife is not on the ketogenic diet with me and we do just fine. We work skewed schedules so we rarely are eating at the same time anyway. I cook and prepare my meals and she does the same for hers. When we do share a meal, we just adjust quantities appropriately.

For example, we cooked a really great pot roast, with onions, carrots, and potatoes in with the meat. My serving was primarily meat (with a few onions and carrots). My wife had more of the carrots and potatoes but less meat.

Sounds like you have a way of eating that is widely considered healthy and works for you, so I’d just stick with that.