So far, much easier than I expected!

(S Hardy) #1

I just started a keto diet for the first time in my life this last Wednesday. After reading thoroughly on the subject from various (and credible) sources for three weeks I decided to embark and see.

Well today coming back from work I took readings and ketones were at 2.1 mmol/l, glucose at 3.8 mmol/l. I’m in the range! I must have been over 0.5 since Sunday.

What surprises me is that I don’t feel as sick as I was expecting. I do feel a bit strange (dizziness?) and certainly weaker than usual but I’m still able to work and even train. So if this is all that keto-flu had in store for me, I’m quite happy with it right now!

…or should I be expecting the real hard times ahead now?

(Carol O'Carroll) #2

If you ate little sugar before you started, then that may be it. I had a similar ‘no surprises’ start too as I’d already stopped eating added sucrose.

Go you good thing!

(Carol O'Carroll) #3

P.s. Keep your salt levels up. That can help prevent the shakes/fatigue when you are exercising.

There’s a saying that goes something like “hope for the best, be prepared for the worst…”. Count your wins now, rejoice and take it with a huge smile :grin:
No promises about the future, but if you can continue to ride the wave of success, by all means…keep going!!! :surfer:

(Brian) #5

Have never had any issues with keto flue, Atkins flue or low carb flue. I went from a very high carb straight next day to a strict low carb Atkins induction diet 20 or less total carbs several years ago. and have been in and out of low carb several times with no adverse effects when starting very low carb likely Keto. you hear a lot about Keto flue but not everybody has those effects. Wish you luck with your healthy new venture

(S Hardy) #6

Thank you all for your comments and encouragements.

I woke up this morning with zero symtoms, which I find suspicious. Yesteday night I was a little short on protein for the day so I made myself a protein shake (1 carb, 25 prot) and added a tablespoon of butter for the measure :slight_smile:

An hour after ingesting I took new readings and my glucose was 5.1 ketones 1.7 which did not worry me. Now I hope these numbers did not continue to change through the night and perhaps kicked me out of keto! I did not have time to take new readings before leaving to work this morning but I will get to it as I get home.

Have a great day.

PS.: This forum is a great idea, this diet is a lonely place out there!

(Brian) #7

VERY TRUE

have felt that way about a lonely place for several years. My daughter (70 miles away) has recently relized she’s gluten sensitive and went keto several months ago. My wife is not on board but is much more willing to accomadate when my daughter visits. and that makes it a little less loney recently.

Your blood ketone levels are in very good range. I doubt you will have any keto flue type simptons at this point, keep up the good work!

Wonder just how many people out there actually transition like you and I did with out difficulties?? Of course there is the disadvantage we have is that since it’s not painful to get back in, there is a little less motivation to stay on track 100% of the time and if you are doing keto for the weight loss you are more likely to deviate (with weight gain consequents) than you might other wise. So watch out for that temptaion.

(S Hardy) #8

My own wife is quite cooperative in these circumstances, she’s just, as most people who witness the content of my present diet, absolutely puzzled. :joy:

I see what you mean, but personally weight loss is not really an issue. I wish this diet will help me get rid of stubborn fat that traditional diets could not. But I’m not really overweight. My attraction to this low carb lifestyles was born out of finally understanding something that we probably all know intuitively inside: something wrong with our lifestyles has got to explain the epidemics in cancers and metabolic deseases and what else but the popular diet, which emphasizes WAY too much on carbs could explain this?

So I’m experimenting with ketosis, and my plans are to cycle in and out to a more regular low carb diet. In these venues, being able transition without too much suffering it will be a blessing!

(Apologies of any torture of English grammar, as it is a second language for me)

(Barbara Greenwood) #9

I’m another one who didn’t suffer keto flu - a mild headache on days 2 and 3, that’s it.

(S Hardy) #10

How about your energy level at the time Barbara?

(Barbara Greenwood) #11

I didn’t notice anything either way