(Bunny) #1

PPAR-alpha & PPAR-gamma:

SNP’s:

rs1801282

1. SNP’s 101
  1. How To Read Your 23andMe Results
  1. How to read a Promethease Report
  1. Making SNPs Make Sense
  1. How can I analyse the data from a single SNP under additive mode?

Sterols:

Phytosterols (plant) e.g. mono/polyunsaturated fats PUFA’s

Cholesterols (animal) saturated fats

Example illustrations:

image image image

Resources:

1. PPAR Alpha: The Protein That Revs Up Metabolism & Ketosis
  1. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha
  1. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma
  1. PPAR-alpha and PPAR-gamma activators induce cholesterol removal from human macrophage foam cells through stimulation of the ABCA1 pathway.
  1. PPARalpha and dyslipidemia.
  1. Activation of PPARalpha and PPARgamma by environmental phthalate monoesters
  1. Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor (PPAR)-α Activation Prevents Diabetes in OLETF Rats
  1. Effects of PPARgamma and PPARalpha agonists on serum leptin levels in diet-induced obese rats.
  1. Selective Activation of Peroxisome Proliferator–Activated Receptor (PPAR)α and PPARγ Induces Neoangiogenesis Through a Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor–Dependent Mechanism
  1. Peroxisome Proliferator–Activated Receptor (PPAR)α Activation Increases Adiponectin Receptors and Reduces Obesity-Related Inflammation in Adipose Tissue
  1. PPAR-α as a Key Nutritional and Environmental Sensor for Metabolic Adaptation
  1. The Role of PPAR Activation in Liver and Muscle
  1. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha
  1. “…I do plan on diving in an doing short videos on specific SNPs, particularly ones related to fat metabolism since low-carb, high-fat and ketogenic diets have become popular. The PPAR-alpha SNP is one that is most concerning when it comes to ketogenic diets since that gene is essential for the process of ketogenesis. It is good that you measured a variety of blood biomarkers since that is really the only way to test whether a diet works for you. What you’re saying might suggest that a ketogenic diet may not work for you. At least that’s one way to interpret it. (Note: I don’t mean that as medical advice!) With respect to PPAR-alpha, other factors that can activate are polyunsaturated fatty acids particularly docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), which are the fatty acids abundant in fish oil. DHA and EPA have been shown to be agonists for PPAR-genes. PPAR-alpha is under circadian regulation, so time-restricted eating may be even more important. If you really want to try a monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat-based ketogenic diet see my comment to @brywatson. Of course, you would have to measure your blood biomarkers again to monitor how the diet affects those markers of health status. It would be appropriate to monitor these under the trained guidance of a physician. …” - Dr. Rhonda Patrick
  1. The Ketogenic diet, Saturated Fat, and Genetics
  • Check out Rhonda’s genetic tool, which pairs with the 23andMe genetic test
  • PPAR-alpha
    • Predominantly found in the liver – involved in fatty acid catabolism and in the production of ketone bodies
  • PPAR-gamma
    • Predominantly found in adipose tissue – involved in taking up free fatty acids into adipose tissue
  • Some people (Peter estimates 10-20% of people), do very badly on a ketogenic diet
    • Negative things that happen:
      • Their LDL particle numbers go up , despite the fact that their triglyceride levels go down
      • Levels of C-reactive protein (CRP) rise – this is a marker of inflammation
      • Markers of cholesterol biosynthesis go up – their bodies are making more cholesterol
      • Their phytosterols go up (which typically go down on a ketogenic diet)
        • Phytosterols are a group of naturally occurring compounds found in plant cell membranes.
        • Cholesterol is the sterol from an animal
        • Phytosterol is the cholesterol equivalent from a plant
        • Note from Podcast NotesThis must mean their body has a harder time clearing phytosterols?
    • Peter had one patient, whom this happened to, here’s what he did:
      • He cut his patient’s saturated fat intake to very low levels (20-25 grams a day)
        • 65% of his fat calories were being consumed from mono unsaturated fat (this is very hard to do, an easy way to get this much mono unsaturated fat is to consume lots of olive oil)
      • After 8-12 weeks, with the same macronutrient distribution (so the same overall levels of protein, carbs, and fat – just with different types of fat – much less saturated fat) – their LDL particle number dropped tremendously, inflammation dropped, and their sterol biomarkers returned to normal
  • People with certain SNPs (pronounced snips – these are basically single gene variants) on PPAR alpha and PPAR gamma, just don’t do well with saturated fat, like Peter’s patient
    • People with these SNPs, should have a higher ratio of poly and mono unsaturated fat to saturated fat inake, in order to lower their type 2 diabetes risk
    • If they consume too much saturated fat, they’ll see effects similar to what was observed with Peter’s patient
  • Why some people have trouble entering ketosis
    • From an evolutionary perspective, you should have been selected out really quickly if you can’t make ketones efficiently
    • It’s not all about generating ketones, first you have to deplete your glycogen (stored liver glucose) – once our body depletes its stored glucose, then it starts running on ketones …” …More
  1. What’s the Hype About Plant Sterols?
  1. Other Hyper-responders help!

Other Hyper-responders help!
APOE4 hyper-responder. LDL off the charts. What to do?
18 months keto and A1c is going up!? Need encouragement
Attia Feldman podcast
18 months keto and A1c is going up!? Need encouragement

There you go, again. :exploding_head:

:grin:

(TJ Borden) #3

Right??? I love @atomicspacebunny, but if I need to be reminded of how dumb I am, l’ll watch jeopardy.

(What The Fast?!) #4

@atomicspacebunny THIS IS ME!!! I have the PPARG and have been moving more towards olive oil, but it’s very hard to reduce the amount of saturated fat so much! I eat a lot of grass fed beef, I’m trying to move towards a heavier fish and chicken diet for that reason.

I have the PPARG genotype C/C, the ADIPOQ type G/G. I wonder if this is why my liver enzymes are so elevated as well? Could this also be the reason my LDL is so sky high (almost 400)? (PS I don’t understand what C/C or G/G means.)

@siobhan not sure if you’ve done the research on PPAR genes or not, but would love your thoughts.

(KCKO, KCFO) #5

This is why I have started to balance out my omega 3 and omega 6. I also need more poly/mono fats and less saturated fats. I was hitting the coconut oil heavily. I have stopped that since I got my gene report from foundmyfitness.com. You can run 23andme or Ancestry files through her report tool. Ancestry has more data then 23andme, so I used that report. It was $10 well spent.

(Bunny) #6

Max Magnitude Index:

Imagine:

SNP rs1234

has 2 alleles C and T

So there are 3 genotypes, (C;C), (C;T) and (T;T)

(C;C) is the normal with Magnitude = 0

(C;T) is the heterozygote with Magnitude = 2.5

(T;T) is has Magnitude = 3.8

In a Promethease report, all 3 genotypes will have different Magnitudes, but they all have the same Max Magnitude (3.8), because that is the highest magnitude for any genotype of this SNP.

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

Those are allels, they match up C,C or G,G, when you get the same from each parent (homozygous) if you get C,G for example you got one form from each parent (heterozygous).
https://www.nature.com/scitable/definition/allele-48

That was my last :heart: for an hour.
I think the gods of employment are telling me to get some work done. :grin:

(TJ Borden) #9

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: yeah… I haven’t gotten anything done either.

(What The Fast?!) #10

Ok so here’s where I’m confused. My Pathway Fit report says that I have an increased benefit from eating polyunsaturated fats, normal for monounsaturated.

“Gene Tested - PPARG
Description
This patient is more likely to have a lower body weight when eating a diet containing
more polyunsaturated fats than saturated fats. The patient has a variant in the PPARG
gene, which can affect the association between body weight and the ratio of consumed
polyunsaturated to saturated fats. This test result was derived from a study with only
women, and there is insufficient scientific evidence to determine if men are similarly
affected.”

It’s so confusing! If my genotype is C/C, shouldn’t that mean normal?

(Bunny) #11

I would make sure my polys (PUFA’s) are extra virgin unprocessed non-hydrogenated fats/oils nor rancid/oxidized (the bottled stuff/shelf-time) and not subject to heat because I worry about that reverse electron transport thing from trans fats Dr. Micheal Eades discusses in his lecture and the expansion and release of adipose fat cells…

For example if your getting your plant based phytosterols and alike from avacados etc. you would be fine?

(Bunny) #12

I wonder what kind of ratios they are talking about if the PPARG gene is “variant”… hmmm? Can you call them up on the phone and ask them for a better explanation and a link to the study that corroborates this?

What kind of ratios are we talking?

For example with Dr. Peter Attia’s patient:

• He cut his patient’s saturated fat intake to very low levels (20-25 grams a day)
    • 65% of his fat calories were being consumed from mono unsaturated fat (this is very hard to do, an easy way to get this much mono unsaturated fat is to consume lots of olive oil)

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #13

I wish I understood this better. I have 6 PPARA genes with only one in the SNPedia with just a small amount of text. The others are listed without any annotation. All 6 have a magnitude of 1.

I have no other PPARs. I’ve been doing some omega 3 fish weekly or more often the last 3 years but the last two weeks a lot more (5 times a week) and my BP is coming down some. I have persistent high BP and have since I was 26 years old. I have several genes for high BP. I’m on meds for BP.

I think this is good but I am uncertain. :question: :upside_down_face:

(Bunny) #14

It is like so cryptical for the lay-person to decipher…

(KCKO, KCFO) #15

I’m aware and I am Ms. Picky when it comes to oils. I want most of my non sat fats to come from fish and nuts as well.
ETA: I forgot to mention the avocado, I do the oil and avos in salads and such. Major source of oils for me.

(CharleyD) #16

@daddyoh All that means is:

1. There hasn’t been a Genome-Wide Association Study that referenced that risk allele (where risk allele = 'rs1800206(C;C)).
  2. There may have been a GWAS, but it’s not linked to SNPedia yet.

The vast majority of the alleles aren’t known to be linked to any disease state, are mostly set to ‘normal’ (not fast/slow, or clean/dirty) and we don’t have to worry about them.

(KCKO, KCFO) #17

Did they give you your SNP ( mine is the bolded number below, there can be many of these)? Here is what the report I got says about my PPAR gamma, it just says I need more of the poly/mono, less sat.fats. Since I have other genes that like the saturated fats, I do not intend to cut them back too far:

PPAR gamma rs1801282(C;G) Abnormal fat metabolism Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma (PPAR-γ or PPARG) is a master regulator of fatty acid storage and glucose metabolism. The genes activated by PPARG stimulate lipid uptake and adipogenesis by fat cells. It increases both lipid metabolism and adipogenesis in fat tissue. It increases insulin sensitivity in muscle tissue and increases gluconeogenesis in the liver. PPARG is mostly found in adipose tissue, colon and reduced longevity and higher all-cause mortality. You may have an abnormal fat metabolism . When people with the genotype (C,G) or (G,G) have a low polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat intake and a high saturated fat intake then their obesity and type 2 diabetes risks are dramatically increased. But when there is a higher mono- and poly-unsaturated intake and a lower saturated fat intake their obesity and type 2 diabetes risk is normal. Polyunsaturated fatty acids activate the PPAR-gamma gene. Monounsaturated fat is found in foods such as avocado, olive oil, and nuts. Polyunsaturated fats are found in foods like fatty fish such as salmon, herring and polyunsaturated fat is also found in nuts. Saturated fat is found in fatty beef, pork, butter, cheese, and other dairy products. Individuals with the genotypes (C,G) or (G,G) may want to make sure their dietary fat is higher in mono- and polyunsaturated fat and lower in saturated fat.

Pterostilbene is a plant compound present in blueberries, cranberries, and almonds. So those foods should be beneficial to those with PPARG.

(What The Fast?!) #18

yep, that’s the the one I have: rs1801282 (C/C). Mine says enhanced benefit for polyunsaturated, not but monounsaturated

(KCKO, KCFO) #19

How are you doing? Did you try upping the polysat. fats?

My DH just got his DNA results back and we ran a report on them, he also needs more poly/monos with lower sat. fats. Good news is he is not APOE4, he is double E3. As my diet is moving that direction he can eat even more like me now.

I barely touch coconut oil these days, I do use coconut milk still as I do not like dairy milk and never have, I do heavy whipping cream and that is it. Since even cream has sat. fats, I use the coconut milk now instead, at least it is a medium chain.

(Central Florida Bob ) #20

@atomicspacebunny: I’m confused. I ran across this a few days ago, but it was late at night just as I was shutting down. I saved the location and finally remembered to open my genetic report and look at this.

I look at my Promethease report for that SNP, rs1801282 and it tells me I have PPARG, with C/C alleles. The summary I see is that it’s good. 0.1 Magnitude. I don’t see anything about dietary oil compositions.

When I look for PPAR Alpha or PPARA, Promethease finds nothing. I don’t see any SNPs mentioned to check, just a reference to go to Rhonda’s report (which I haven’t bought).

What am I doing wrong?