Smoked Turkey Tails

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #1

My dad used to call the turkey tail the “Parson’s Nose” at Christmas dinner. Every year, he’d clearly claim it as His, even though nobody else wanted it.

I was shopping at Winco grocery store last month and found, nestled in amongst the smoked bacons, ham hocks and turkey legs, 2 packs of smoked turkey tails (about 3 tails per pack). After reminiscing about Dad’s penchant for them, I bought both packs. I think they cost $4 each.

Well, I cooked them in my InstantPot, using beef broth and chili flakes, for about 30 minutes. After the pressure equaluzed, I cracked open the cooker and ate one.

Holy God, they are awesome…but only if you like smoky, fatty, delicious meat that falls off the bone…

I now have 5 more packs of Parson’s Noses, Dad.

(Blessed with butter ) #2

I saw those at winco too I was like hummmmmm that might be yummy thank you for confirming!!!

The drumsticks are my go to alone time food =) Usually get 2-3 meals out of one. My supermarket changed brands (to something horrible). I almost had a meltdown. I miss my smoked turkey legs!

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #4

Judy- You bet! If that kind of snack is your thing, do it! They’re delish.

Tyme- I’ll send you some if they stay off your stores shelves! :joy:

Ive already hit up the local foodie group on Facebook, hopefully Ive gotten some good leads! Thanks for the offer!

Well, none of us around here like that. :wink:

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #7

Cooked a pack of three for a snack for later.

They’re gone now, several hours early. Hmmm.

Oh and I forgot a picture. Love, love love them.

(Central Florida Bob ) #8

My dad used to call them the Pope’s Nose. Regardless, for all of my adult life, whenever the turkey comes out of the smoker or oven, I usually grab the tail, the neck and the gizzard. Now I split them with my wife.

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #9

Must be the British influence!

:joy::joy:

(Norma Laming) #10

We called it the Parson’s Nose, too! Everybody wanted a bit. The ones on chickens are good, too. I love them but some people are squeamish (good!)

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #11

Pope’s nose here. You all know that chicken’s have them too, just smaller.

(Kc Tyson) #12

I want to suggest, i have used turkey tails to cook greens for years to avoid hammocks. Turkey tails are the best meat to use for seasoning things ever. boil them up by themselves and they are great in any, green beans, greens, soups, or beans. My favorite go to for smoked meat…

(Laurie) #13

Hammocks?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

In one of his memoirs, the comedian Sam Levinson tells how, when he was a kid, his Jewish mother would send him to the Irish Catholic butcher to buy a chicken and have him tell the butcher to “cut off the Pope’s nose”!