Smoked Salt

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #1

I smoke some meat, fish, and cheeses a few times a year. At least once a year I smoke a few pounds of kosher sea salt. I keep some at work and at the dinner table. It takes boring foods and gives them a BBQish flavor.

Keep Ketoing.

Traeger Grill - Carl - Some great ideas for your new grill
(Ron) #2

Might I ask, what process do you use? I also smoke often but never have done salt.:thinking:

Yes, please tell us how you do it.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #4

@4dml @mtncntrykid

You have to smoke salt alone. With meat the moisture that comes off the meat will make the salt a mess. Make a shallow pan with foil. Spread the salt maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch deep. You can make several pans. Some friends will want some. It makes great little gifts for those that love BBQ.

Smoke for 2 to 4 hours turning the salt frequently with a spatula. I have an electric smoker and use a pellet device with it. But a stick burner will work fine.

I use 50% hickory 50% applewood.

Store in a glass jar. I store mine for several months to let the smoke flavor get more uniform. Also the flavor gets better over time. Be careful not to over smoke it. You want a light brown color. If you over smoke it, it will get sticky or gunky.

Enjoy.

(Ron) #5

I have a pellet smoker so I’m good there. Do you have a temperature you like to smoke it at?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #6

225F is what I use.

(Ron) #7

Perfect. One more question - course, med course, or fine?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #8

@mtncntrykid @4dml

Course or Medium is fine. This is Kosher Course salt. was not sea salt. Just iodine free Mortons. The little jar sits on the dining table. I smoke a lot of different food. Pork, Beef, Salmon, Garlic, Tomatoes, etc. Salt is my favorite because I can use it every day. It’s really great on fried eggs.

(Jane) #9

Thanks! I am so going to smoke me some salt when I get home this weekend! I even have sone coarse kosher salt on hand. My smoker is propane and I have hickory and mesquite chips for it.

I’m glad you posted a pic so now I have an idea of what it should look like when it is “done”.

(Jane) #10

It’s funny my husband does all the grilling on his propane grill but has never used our smoker.

It sat on the patio for months while we worked on finishing our house, which was a bigger priority. One weekend I decided to put it together and then of course I wanted to use it! It’s been my baby ever since.

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

I am smoker deprived but found smoke salt at a new butchers shop