Smoked cow tongue?

(Bob M) #1

Has anyone tried smoked cow tongue? It’s about $15/ound here.

I’ve just engaged with my butcher friend there tonight.
I’ll be calling into see him (next town) next week.

I pretty much think I can order up anything, raw, TBC.
The smoking may have to come later, not provided by the butchers.

And no, I haven’t. :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #3

The store I often go to has both fully cooked (regular) and smoked (but the instructions tell you to cook it). I’ve also gotten raw tongue from the farm, but never did anything with it, and it got freezer burn.

The smoked is interesting, as I could cook, cool, use with my normal lunches. The main issue is that it’s 3+ pounds. That’s a lot of meat to use to add to a lunch. And it’s $15/pound, so $45 for one tongue. The fully cooked is $16/pound.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

I love tongue! Where are you seeing it? The only deli I knew in New York that served tongue closed a couple of decades ago.

(Bob M) #5

It’s at Caraluzzi’s in Newtown, CT.

I’m trying to vary what I eat a bit. Had beef liver last week. Shrimp the week before (and tonight). Was thinking cow tongue might be good, too.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #6

Not sure smoking is all that healthy for cows…

(Bob M) #7

True!

Caraluzzi’s has all kinds of stuff: duck eggs, quail eggs, rabbit, sweat meats (frozen), oxtail (frozen), beef and calf liver (frozen), marrow bones (frozen), ground bison and deer, etc. I’ve tried the quail eggs, but they’re tiny. And other than liver, most of this stuff is a bit pricey. Always wanted to try the caviar, but talk about sticker shock! Rabbit is on my list, though it’s also expensive. Sweat meats, too, but like tongue, not sure what to do with those.

I love cow tongue. I’ve usually gotten it on sandwiches from either the Stage Deil or Chompie’s. Stage Deli was far better.

I’d rather have a great dried beef though. Whenever we visited the relative of my parents’ hometown (Orange City, IA) when I was a kid, we’d always take at least 5 pounds of the stuff home. The local butcher (Woudstra’s) there smoked it themselves.

I think that Stage Deli sandwich had at least one pound of meat on it, maybe more. I had to deconstruct it in order to eat it.

If I had 3 pounds from Woudstra’s right now, it would last 2, maybe 3 days. :slight_smile:

Oh my it’s $4 per pound in webshops here, quite expensive! (Well it’s a very different country.)
I prefer just to buy tongue fresh for $3 per KG, I sooo love cooked tongue, no matter if it’s from a cow or a pig :smiley: (Well pig tastes better but both are amazing.)

But it must be very tasty, smoked tongue :slight_smile: To me, at least, tastes are different as we know. But I consider tongue is one of the best parts.

:scream: Wasting the precious, delicious tongue!!!

Now I want tongue… It’s good as it’s easy to get and cheap too (if I am fine with pork and I am).

A whole tongue isn’t that much. You don’t need to eat it at once…

I didn’t try most of those, interesting. Rabbit is a simple cheap meat here (from houses. the supermarket one is more expensive but nothing near most beef parts) so we buy it sometimes, the flavor is soft but still nice, we make stew from it. But it’s nothing special, I mean home-raised rabbit, I never ate a wild one.
Quail eggs are easy to get but never tried them either. I only would buy it to use it for cute decoration, I am just too happy with chicken eggs for the egg part. I am curious about guineafowl eggs though and I knew people who had it but they didn’t sell it… They have a very big yolk I have heard.

(Bob M) #10

Thanks, all. I’ll try it. Maybe I’ll cook part and freeze part, as 3+ pounds seems like a lot.

@Shinita That’s a good price for tongue. I forget what I paid at the farm.

I tried Quail eggs because these have a beneficial substance in the yolks (if left runny). I only bought one container, as they’re like regular eggs, just much smaller. Too much work for what you get.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Thanks! I’ll have to check them out, next time I’m over that way.

(Bob M) #12

Looks like they’re in Bethel, Wilton (fancy!), Newtown:

The Bethel store is really nice and has an even better selection. But I’m way less familiar with it.

In the Newtown store, go to where the bacon/ham/hot dogs are, look on the top shelf. This is in the “right”, rear corner of the store, as you’re facing the front of the store from the outside. If you go to the left of that corner, past the seafood, you get to the duck, rabbit, bison, deer, etc. If you leave that corner and hit the first frozen isle, that’s where all the octopus, liver, bones, sweet meats are.

And if you’re into fancy mayo made from avocado oil or coconut oil, they have that too. A lot of good fats too. Just be prepared for sticker shock.

The only thing they don’t have, and that I wish they did, is Bubbie’s fermented pickles.

(If you’re not familiar with CT – and who is? – Wilton is … expensive. Very expensive. As in the average house being over a million dollars. Thus, the “fancy!” above.)