Small Personal Success

(Todd Aaron) #1

I am very analytical as I go through this. I weigh in every morning just after waking, and I take measurements and figure up bodyfat% and note fat mass and lean mass. So its easy to track results from additional exercise, and whatever I run into daily… I also log my meals and I plan what I eat before I eat it and I weigh everything with a food scales… If I eat out, I research what they have and find the nutrition information and choose what I will have before I go.

So I have been losing weight at a pretty rapid rate and very predictably and its been about 90-97% fat which is awesome, especially at this rate. In the past I have not been able to lose weight nearly this fast without losing a lot of lean mass along with it.

So yesterday I ended up in a position twice where decisions were made that I had no control over as to where I ended up eating. And for the first time through this I was unable to come up with nutrition information from the restaurants where I was eating. So, for the first time I had to wing it and based on what I have been eating on this diet, I was able to pick and choose what I ate from what I ordered. The only problem was the quantity because I didn’t have a scale to weigh it and didn’t know how much I was eating. One was mexican food where I ordered steak fajitas and had no tortilla, beans or rice, and I ordered extra cheese. I stayed away from the onions and peppers and ate mostly the steak , sour cream, cheese, guacamole and dipped it in this butter sauce that came with it. Then later for dinner it was a local restaurant where I ordered a bacon cheeseburger and I stripped off the bun and had no sides.

So this morning when I weigh in, I ended up gaining weight indicating I probably ate more than I thought… but then I measured my waist and it was smaller… only by 1/8 inch, but I measured several times to make sure and it was correct… a drop in body fat% while gaining weight which came out to a loss in fat as well as a gain in lean mass. Very excited about that!

If I could change my body composition like that daily, I would go that route, because my goal at this point is to actually weigh more than I do now but have less fat and more lean mass. I’ve just been continuing on toward a lower weight goal in order to lose the rest of the fat I don’t want, and was going to worry about adding lean mass after I arrived at the bodyfat I was looking for.

So , does this mean that I can continue on a keto diet and gain lean mass by merely eating over my maintenance calories daily?

(Richard Morris) #2

A ketogenic diet is specifically muscle sparing. Jeff Volek did a controlled trial where he gave the intervention group a carb restricted ketogenic diet for 6 weeks and told participants to eat adequate energy to maintain their weight, and he took DEXAs to measure how their composition changed.

They lost on average 3.4 kgs of Body Fat, and gained 1.1kg of lean body mass.

(Todd Aaron) #3

Thats awesome!
So according to that study, I could eat at maintenance instead of below and I can expect to continue to lose fat and lower my BF% while increasing lean mass?
That would definitely make more sense at the point I am now where I want to lose fat then gain lean mass and actually weigh more than I do now and be leaner.